A queen on her own?

Beekeeping Forum

Help Support Beekeeping Forum:

edjex 

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
wbc
I was sat in my study yesterday afternoon with the french doors open, both dogs basking in the sun on the small balcony outside while I got on with work when I heard a bit of buzzing and look round to see that something had settled on the wall. It was perhaps a bit less than 2cm in length with a long pointy abdomen and dark brown in colour. It had a bit of a crawl and then it was off again out the door and away.

Could it have been a new queen on her mating flight, stopping for a quick break? As I'm yet to get any bees I've not actually seen a queen in the flesh before.

I did have a momentary panic that I might find a swarm of bees had taken up residence in the half painted hive in my garage :eek:

MJBee 

Drone Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
commercial
Number of Hives
16 a mix of Commercial, National, 14 x 12, Dadant and a Warre
Your description sounds like a queen bee - any colonies you know of near you?

A few drops of lemon grass oil in your empty hive will make it very attractive to scout bees. Worked for me 2nd year running:)

Chris Luck 

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
dadant
Number of Hives
Less than 100
It's also a perfect description of a couple of species of horse fly and they are solitary.

Chris

mexbigshow 

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
langstroth
Number of Hives
Your description sounds like a queen bee - any colonies you know of near you?

A few drops of lemon grass oil in your empty hive will make it very attractive to scout bees. Worked for me 2nd year running:)
yes i agree get some lemon grass oil in the hive, last year i wasted money on a swarm lure £6 i think and got nothing so i tried lg oil and after a few days the hive was full of bees, did the same this year bought a lure and nothing put some drops of oil on frames this morning and after 10 mins there was bees buzzing all over around the hive.

edjex 

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
wbc
There is a riding school nearby so I guess it could have been a horse fly, but on all the images that popped up when I googled horse flies last night they had wings that extended beyond the end of the abdomen whereas I think my visitor had shorter wings.

My visitor looked more like http://beediary.files.wordpress.com/2008/05/black-queen.jpg than http://freepages.misc.rootsweb.ance...ed Horse Fly (Tabanus subsimilis) [MO 07].jpg

Certainly didn't look like http://www.theequinest.com/images/horse-photoshop-34.jpg :rofl:

Wish I'd had my camera to hand at the time.

There are a few beekeepers within a couple of miles and the lemon grass oil suggestion is a good one and something that was also mentioned on the course I'm doing. I've still to finish painting the hive and have to create a level site within the garden for my apiary before I can think about doing that though. Much work to do over the coming bank holidays!

Latest posts