A Noise.

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
3 National Hives & 1 Observation Hive.(Indoors) & lots of empty boxes..
Not having heard it before, is the noise a virgin queen makes rather like a reversing bleeper?

Do only virgin queens make this sound?
If so I have bigger problems than I thought :eek:

Hi all,
I think they sound like paper party blowers!

Only virgins will make this sound, though sometimes even before they emerge, so you could still make a split, if possible

Only virgins will make this sound, though sometimes even before they emerge, so you could still make a split, if possible

I thought mated and virgin queens sometimes tooted to each other??? No??

I recorded my queen tooting........ [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VDRQiJ2_GG8"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VDRQiJ2_GG8[/ame]

The first sound is my cat meowing.

Just seen her.
Rushing around like a looney.
I split this hive (obs) 2 weeks ago.

I thought mated and virgin queens sometimes tooted to each other??? No??

No. There are different scenarios, but primarily tooting is a battle cry. It usually signifies that the Q is out and looking to rumble. Sometimes, while a freshly emerged Q is hardening, the others will emerge tooting - answering the battle challenge -, or occasionally (though never witnessed this myself) the workers will hold the first emerged Q back while others emerge. Apparently this creates a rucus of piping. Sometimes (I have witnessed this) the workers will repair the Qcell as the competitor Qs are trying to emerge, and the competitors will toot very loudly, though at a lower pitch
It's rare to find a mated and virgin in the same hive.

No its not.
As an RBI commented recently during an inspection, most beekeepers find a queen then don't look for another. There are probably many more about than are found.

As long as it isn't 'warning this Securicor vehicle is reversing...warning this Sec....' Ooops, sorry...I couldn't resist...:sorry:

As long as it isn't 'warning this Securicor vehicle is reversing...warning this Sec....' Ooops, sorry...I couldn't resist...:sorry:

That needs re-writing to

"Warning this vehicle is reversing.... Warning this vehicle..... whoops sorry"

Latest posts

Back