A no no.

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Poly Hive

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
12 and 18 Nucs
Nice pics Bcrazy but I hope the one with the sealed cells is upside down as turning Q cells that way is not good practice. They should always be handled with the natural down orientation observed.

PH

PH,

I understand what you are saying but if the queen cell is open then there is no difference whether the cell is upright or upside down.

You are right in what you say concerning a sealed queen cell but if handled gently it can be turned the other way up.

Regards;

I know of bee farmers who keep them warm in a pocket any old way while doing the rounds on a warm day,they just pop one into any hive that is queenless.

In the pic I referred to the cells are sealed. http://www.beekeepingforum.co.uk/album.php?albumid=37&pictureid=286

Yes Admin some treat them a bit cavalierly but is that sensible? After all a sealed cell represents a lot of money.

If you turn my way of doing the bars up side down they fall out. I had the handling of cells drilled into me by Bernard many years ago and by god if he taught you you damn well stayed taught..

PH

Last edited:
Hi PH,

I have magnified the photo by X400 and I can assure you they are NOT capped. I know it certainly looks like the cells are capped. I do remember this instance as a friend wanted some queen cells to photograph.

Regards;

They certainly do look as if they are but no matter the principle I remarked on stands regardless and was posted as a general hint to those heading down that wonderful road called Queen Rearing, a topic I frankly delight in.

PH

I have seen capped cells treated in a cavalier manner scores of times, I would have thought turning uncapped cells clumsily could result in drowning larvae in the Royal jelly, whereas in the sealed state HRM is cocooned ?.

John

PH

to those heading down that wonderful road called Queen Rearing, a topic I frankly delight in.

I fully endorse that statement.

Regards;

Great start I had yesterday with my Culpit super.

I have a grafting tool I can try next.
I do have a few books new and old on Queen rearing but get ready for the questions guys as I get going.

Hi Admin

Great start I had yesterday with my Culpit super.

Culpit super what's that?

Regards;

I use the Jenter kit which I believe is exactly the same. Do you have an idiots guide to using the kit?

If so please send me a copy of the timetable, I can't find mine.:redface:

Thanks.

Regards;

Yes that's great, thank you.
I have noticed these kits have changed slightly from my antiquated kit, but its all relevant I suppose.

Thanks

Regards;

I think that there is a timetable on the BIBBA site, under downloads. Failing that, I have one somewhere, so will try and dig it out.

Crikey let's work it out.

Put Queen in day one. Queen out on day two so the eggs are one day old AT the OLDEST. So now count to fifteen. What ever day that is is the earliest the cells will hatch.

Personally I would leave the eggs to hatch in the unit they are laid up in.

I would then offer the larvae to a strong nuc box of shook broodless bees. 7 or 8 brood frames of bees.

I would expect about 20 cells or so to be started by the next day. Any that are not waxed on the lip can be dumped.

The started cells can be then put into supers to be sealed and nurtured to that point. Day 8. I'd split the starter box into two with frames of brood in, say one each plus a cell to keep them happy.

By day 14 its time to make up nucs or mini nucs and at that point it's you call what you do.

PH

The started cells can be then put into supers to be sealed and nurtured
PH

very simple and helpful post PH :cheers2:

So its ok to put the cells in a hive with a super on and QE that has a queen below ?

yes but best and safer if it is the top super with one more between the BB and the cells. To be explicit the minimum I consider safe is one, two is better.

You probably will lose some started cells in this method.

If I start out with a batch of say 25 (from 36 grafts) I would hope for 15 to 18 virgins.

I intend (if I have the time to play) to trial the NBU method of Q right starting. I also intend using a broodless quenless lot to actually do the job. *PPPPP* I dinna trust the civil service to have much of an idea really.

PH

I hope to be starting/finnishing my first batch of grafts of next week in a queenright colony,if it don't snow.
Then into incubator to emerge.

Back