a new out apiary

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thurrock bees

Drone Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Just got pictures of this out apiary, it is about half a footie pitch, in the pictures it runs from the trees to the track and is about 30 wide ( not shown)

:patriot:

on the second picture, the is a telephone pole, below that is a mound of earth, which hides the hive in picture 3

Last edited:
Thats a big site :cheers2:

the farmer said i can have TWO hives on there, is take 10 mins to walk around it,its half a mile from about 100 arces of OSR, and has about 400 yards from water.
I think i will have more than two on there :toetap05:

There are thoughts that power lines are not too good for bees. I have heard conflicting arguments but either way, to be on the safe side I would put the hives where they are as far away as possible from them.

the farmer said i can have TWO hives on there, is take 10 mins to walk around it,its half a mile from about 100 arces of OSR, and has about 400 yards from water.
I think i will have more than two on there :toetap05:

if he complains you have more than two then stack hives on top of each another with entrances facing different ways

Only 2. More like 2 dozen on a site like that. :cheers2:

There are thoughts that power lines are not too good for bees. I have heard conflicting arguments but either way, to be on the safe side I would put the hives where they are as far away as possible from them.

we have power lines every where, there is no way from hiding from them, they power London ( smog city)

you have loads of great space there the only couple of things i want to add is to paint your hives with green/brown fence paint as they stick out a bit and put some sort of fence around them if there is going to animals in there to as for that ,

you lucky sod
pete

im not going to put a fence, as i feel that will attract attention, im going to start plant hawthorn bushes,

Last edited:
im looking at building a shed in the woods, im thinking of your idea H. Pete and paint it in brown and green:hat:

I think i will have more than two on there:toetap05:
im going to start plant hawthorn bushes,
im looking at building a shed in the woods, im thinking of your idea H. Pete and paint it in brown and green:hat:

Hmmm. Don't be surprised if you get kicked off will you? Someone has been good enough to give you an out apiary opportunity and all you can do it try and take advantage and abuse the trust.

Frisbee

My out apiary was established over 20 years ago . Permission was given to use the corner of a field with the proviso, "Put thi bees theer but no fences!, folk like ter peep o'er fences ". This proved to be a windy site so I planted a hornbeam hedge which has since matured into a beautiful informal hedge which enhances the location and has pleased the farmer:)..

John Wilkinson .
Ps I also promised to leave the land as I'd found it except the hedge of course

i will not put a shed up without asking, the hedge has been given the okay, and the increase in hives is likely to come in the new year, which i will ask.
Ive been having a out apiary on his wife's farm for 18 months now. So he know's what im like.

Consider something like Blackthorn for the fencing as you may get some Sloes for use too.

fair point, thrurrock.

try blackthorn, that way you'll not only get lots of nasty thorns, but masses of blossom in the spring and sloes too. Blackberry is also very invasive and grows fast (+ lots of fruit) Just cultivate from localised blackberry plants in the spring when in leaf.

regards

S

:(:(:(:(:(

After the girls have been on this site for 2 MONTHS, ive had to move them back and abandon the site. a few little shits, sorry, poss. kids, have knocked the hive over and after living though the snow being open to the snow, i strapped the hive up, now there are holes on the side of the b/box from the little shits taking pot shots with metal bb pellets.( if i catch them I WILL take pot shots at them with my 12 bore, little bastards):rant:.

TB

Latest posts

Back