A new formulation of oxalic acid for Varroa.

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hivemaker.

Queen Bee
Beekeeping Sponsor
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
A new formulation of oxalic acid for Varroa destructor control applied in Apis mellifera colonies in the presence of brood

An organic product based on oxalic acid was evaluated for use in Varroa control under spring/summer climatic conditions in Argentina. The formulation consists of four strips made of cellulose impregnated with a solution based on oxalid acid. Forty-eight beehives were used to assess the product efficacy. Residues of the product were also tested in honey, bees, and wax. Each trial had respective control groups without oxalic treatment. At the beginning of the experiment, four strips of the formulation were applied to the colonies belonging to the treated group. Falling mites were counted after 7, 14, 21, 28, 35, and 42 days. After the last count, the strips were removed and colonies received two flumethrin strips for 45 days. Falling mites were counted throughout this period. Average efficacy of the organic product was 93.1 % with low variability. This product is an organic treatment designed for Varroa control during brood presence and represents a good alternative to the synthetic treatments.

http://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s13592-015-0405-7#/page-1

Thanks, HM
The bees, I presume are ingesting the product though?
Vaporising still seems much easier.

Last edited:
Oxalic acid has been illegal in Europe 15 years and it will ne next 15 years.
No one is willing to do that accept procedure for nothing.

What then? What bad oxalic acid had done to bees that it earns to be illegal?
And it has bee researched that OA does not spoil human food either.
I think that it is illegal to use own brains in these things.

Do not drive over speed!!!

Last edited:
Api-bioxal is not pure oxalic acid, it contains various excipients which ruin vaporisers; if one were foolish enough to pay the extortionate price of the stuff.

I used to have a piece of Hastelloy C but eventually it went in the scrap. I seriously doubt it would have been affected in any way at all by any of the various additives, no matter what they are or the temperature of sublimation.

I used to have a piece of Hastelloy C but eventually it went in the scrap. I seriously doubt it would have been affected in any way at all by any of the various additives, no matter what they are or the temperature of sublimation.

The glucose in the Api-bioxall turns to a toffee like substance and clogs the sublimator up, not good if using a pressurized device, as it could block the nozzle and cause it to explode, would Hastelloy C prevent this from happening, as it could be the answer to stop the glucose turning to toffee when heated, and no cleaning of the devices would be needed.

Last edited:

What then? What bad oxalic acid had done to bees that it earns to be illegal?
And it has bee researched that OA does not spoil human food either.
I think that it is illegal to use own brains in these things.

Do not drive over speed!!!

It's all down to profit for 'the few' if you ask me Finman. Oxalic per hive= pence per treatment. 'approved' treatments cost ? per hive. Who approves these new 'products and why when we have a good, cheap treatment already. Must check my share dividends soon! lol :)

I used to have a piece of Hastelloy C ....................... temperature of sublimation.

Corrosion is not the issue. Hivemaker has explained the problems very succinctly. Incidentally the bowl of a varrox is also affected and needs constant cleaning.

It's all down to profit for 'the few' if you ask me Finman. Oxalic per hive= pence per treatment. 'approved' treatments cost ? per hive. Who approves these new 'products and why when we have a good, cheap treatment already. Must check my share dividends soon! lol :)

I have uses oxalic acid 13 years. No one has asked what I do to my hives.

We have played this " approved game" 10 years in UK beekeeping, and it has not become better. IT is not a worth of joke. One day you all are in front if final doom. Then we see it.

!!
Well i do wish that you would get your facts right!
There is a formulation utilising oxalic acid which is registered for use in Italy, UK, and Ireland It is called apibioxal and the active ingredient is 97% pur oxalic acid.

We have played this " approved game" 10 years in UK beekeeping, and it has not become better.

The Brits are pretty good at that.
There was a piece on the radio this morning that said we in the UK were the most compliant with EU regulations out of all the countries .....most of which ignored the regulations that didn't suit them.

The Brits are pretty good at that.
There was a piece on the radio this morning that said we in the UK were the most compliant with EU regulations out of all the countries .....most of which ignored the regulations that didn't suit them.

Been saying that for years, nothing wrong with Europe, they pass whatever regulation then carry on as normal whereas our stupid bunch apply them all.

Been saying that for years, nothing wrong with Europe, they pass whatever regulation then carry on as normal whereas our stupid bunch apply them all.

:iagree::iagree: that's why fish stocks are in such a mess - because of British fishermen being forced to throw good fish back. If we'd have all followed the Spanish there'd have been a lot more fish around.

Well i do wish that you would get your facts right!
There is a formulation utilising oxalic acid which is registered for use in Italy, UK, and Ireland It is called apibioxal and the active ingredient is 97% pur oxalic acid.

Regulations come from EU vet orders. They are same in UK and Finland. Registered and registered. EU itself recommended 2006 oxalic acid to be used.

Game to be continued.....

And Ireland took too old papers when it made its own recommendations for oxalic acid. But happy end however.

Some companies say that their oxalic acid stimulates bees. It is not a medicine.

Thanks, HM
The bees, I presume are ingesting the product though?
Vaporising still seems much easier.
I realise I really have no place in saying what I'm about to say but I feel compassionate about Randy Oliver's experiments with the 1 to 1 oxalic acid and food grade glycerine 'strips'.
Randy Oliver does not seem to slouch in anything he does regards his experimentation and the fact that he has two sons with their over 1000 hives. His operation as a unit has to work.
Do all the anti new idea beekeepers think for a minute that he ( as a hands on commercial beekeeper) would waste his valuable time conducting the meticulous research he has done with the 'strips' if he thought that he was on to a looser?
I doubt that he would give a second glance at any idea he did not think was worth pursuing. He has as well a multitude of 'backers' who hope he comes up with at least something.
Although it's against the rules the strips are a no no despite the fact that anyone can spray oxalic acid directly onto bees they cannot put the product onto absorbent strips infused in food grade glycerine......
On the face of it the whole issue seems faintly ridiculous and especially as the Argentinian Doctor who has said the idea seems very efficient but he does not know why.
There are a few commercial beekeepers in the USA who are as they say - 'moonlighting'. Randy Oliver's results seem good but he points out firmly that his experimentation has government approval. So he says it works but don't do it..

I realise I really have no place in saying what I'm about to say but I feel compassionate about Randy Oliver's experiments with the 1 to 1 oxalic acid and food grade glycerine 'strips'.
Randy Oliver does not seem to slouch in anything he does regards his experimentation and the fact that he has two sons with their over 1000 hives. His operation as a unit has to work.
Do all the anti new idea beekeepers think for a minute that he ( as a hands on commercial beekeeper) would waste his valuable time conducting the meticulous research he has done with the 'strips' if he thought that he was on to a looser?
I doubt that he would give a second glance at any idea he did not think was worth pursuing. He has as well a multitude of 'backers' who hope he comes up with at least something.
Although it's against the rules the strips are a no no despite the fact that anyone can spray oxalic acid directly onto bees they cannot put the product onto absorbent strips infused in food grade glycerine......
On the face of it the whole issue seems faintly ridiculous and especially as the Argentinian Doctor who has said the idea seems very efficient but he does not know why.
There are a few commercial beekeepers in the USA who are as they say - 'moonlighting'. Randy Oliver's results seem good but he points out firmly that his experimentation has government approval. So he says it works but don't do it..
What a strange post
Of course you are entitled to your opinion but your ire is misplaced.
My post you quoted was 6 years ago. Things move on and opinions and ideas change.

Reactions: mbc

Latest posts

Back