A new colony running out of space to lay brood

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NoBBy

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
I am in my first year of Bee Keeping and now have 2 colonies. I need some advice on my second colony.

Today checked a colony I got 2 weeks ago on 6 frames. They have now drawn out 8 1/2 frames however these are packed with stores. When I got the colony it had 4 full frames of brood but now it only has 3 and on about 50% of the frame the rest of the frames are full of stores. There is a great deal of capped honey. It looks like they are bringing in nectar faster than they are drawing out the comb and the queen is running out of space to lay. I saw the queen and there are eggs. There is loads of brace comb under the crown board with honey/nectar in.

I am wondering what to do? I don't have any drawn brood or super comb. There is loads of Balsam nearby. Do I just leave them to get on with it and draw out the other 3 ½ frames or put a super on with foundation in the hope that they might draw it out quicker above the nest?

i think you need some advice from polyhive.

hopefully it's not too late to split the brood with a frame of foundation and bruise and turn the first frames of stores to increase brood area.

Just wondering if you have been feeding them?

Tom

Not fed either coloney but this one just appear to be very productive. My other colony are a more black coloured Bee and dont seem as busy but have a more brood and less stores.

maybe you can swap a frame of brood from one hive for a frame of food. Then in 2 weeks time that frame will be ready for the queen to lay in,

NoBBy

You're now configured with 11 frames on National brood?

If you saw the Q and eggs - leave them to it, imo don't add a super.

richard

It's a funny year. They may just keep going and going. Not good for predicting at this time of the year. Go with the flow as they say. Winker is on the right track - remove, neer mind about swapping, any capped frames of stores. They could be extracted later or returned to the hive.

RAB

NoBBy

You're now configured with 11 frames on National brood?

If you saw the Q and eggs - leave them to it, imo don't add a super.

richard

Richard

No got 12 frames in the brood

I'd tend to leave the bees alone; they've been keeping bees for longer than we have.
IMO if you want to mess, the only option might be to put a frame of foundation next to the brood area so that when it's drawn the queen can lay straight away. If you take out 1 frame and put in a dummy that's ok as Tony suggests - that's your choice. I keep 12 frames in mine. (Usually).

If you want more brood then you need to put foundation in the middle of the brood nest not next to it as they will use it for stores.

You have to make a decision. You either work the bees or settle for being a "bee haver" and faff about not doing much at all. Nothing wrong with faffing, if that is you want, but if you want to achieve much with your bees then you need to work them.

Many will disagree with this but beekeeping roughly splits into the two camps.

Not many bee farmers are faffers...LOL

PH

If you want more brood then you need to put foundation in the middle of the brood nest not next to it as they will use it for stores.
PH

I'm interested in this advice as I have this situation where I have 2 frames of brood foundation sitting at one end untouched for 2 months now.

So in your experience inserting frames into the middle of the brood next doesn't create cold brood but stimulates the drawing out of foundation - hopefully for laying?

btw they are on brood and a half

BL

In a word yes.

I have successfully had foundation drawn during autumn feeding.
PH

So in your experience inserting frames into the middle of the brood next....

Need to be precise here. PH means a frame, not frames. That will likely be understood by most but not by some. You probably mean frames, as in more than one, over a longer time span, but one at a time.

Thinking about it a bit further - it will now be foundation in the warmest part of the broodnest - ideal for drawing comb - not in the coldest part of the hive (like your foundation for the last couple of months).

Putting frames so as to split the brood nest is a good method of inducing queen cells. Putting a super between does it even better for a National (compare Nationals and Dartingtons here).

RAB

Sorry, thought I was precise - I have two frames of brood foundation that need drawing out.

I didn't read it that PH was limiting it to one at a time only but obviously I wouldn't expect to insert 3-4 frames at one go.

Could I insert one frame of foundation in the middle of the nest now without any detrimental effects on brood or wait until autumn feeding?

BL

Yes you can put one frame of foundation in the middle od the brood nest - I did it last week and the frame was 90% drawn with the queen laying in it within a few days.

re RAB's reference to Dartingtons.

imho they should be kept out of general discussions about problems with hive management.

"Putting a super between does it even better" = is utter nonsensical advice for someone wanting to increase the brood area in their National BB.
richard

Latest posts

Back