A most blatant act of stupidity.

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mission

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Langstroth
This is a copy of an email I recieved this morning from a commitee member of our local BBKA affiliated BKA>

Hi Everyone

If anyone knows of a 2nd hand hive for sale please can you let "MR B" know about it. He is about to obtain a nucleus of bees and has not yet obtained any equipment.

If you can help please email him at [email protected]

Many Thanks

M

I cannot believe the stupidity of this. We have a BBKA affilation actually asking for info on 2nd hand hives, because someone has a nuc of bees coming? Surely they should be telling "Mr B" to get the hive and the gear first and then to get the bees. Not the other way round? This is the same BKA that is watching my every move with the council and saying absolutely nothing in support!! I will be SOOOO happy when my membership expires in December.

T
I cannot believe the stupidity of this. We have a BBKA affilation actually asking for info on 2nd hand hives, because someone has a nuc of bees coming?

Hi Jay

Without knowing the full story, re-reading the above to me reads that Mr B has gone out by him self and bought a nuc of bees and your association is asking for help.

It makes not reference that the LBKA susgested he did this, but simpley trying to rectify his "keenness"

But then adding in your alltoment story, they are not exactly proactive.

Jim

Got to agree with your sentiments, however the problem of what to do with the nuc still exists ! Second hand hives properly sterilised are perfectly usable. What needs to be done ,is to mentor the guy in an on going fashion :). After all, "I told you so" wont improve the situation one iota !
It's obvious that you have an issue with this particular branch and indeed this particular person :svengo:, but don't let it colour your judgement as regards the remainder of the beekeepers in said society ( Remember as a paid up member , you also have imput and responsibility for its approach).
Far too many branches have these "I've paid my dues so now service my needs ", members, who have no idea just how much work is involved in trying the keep the ship afloat and steer it in the right direction :(.

John Wilkinson

I have refused to sell nucs to several novices this year because they haven’t a clue and are nothing but trouble if I’m not careful.
One chap I refused point blank unless he had a mentor, said he had been on a beekeeping course.
He came back with an experienced beekeeper that told me he was going to help him.
I always open the nucleus in front of customers to show the temperament the fullness and explain the queens in cage.
VERY GOOD says 15year EXSPERERANCE MAN!!!
3 days later I have an irate customer telling me I sold him the wrong frames for his national hive
DEMANDING his money back?
I ask WHAT are you doing wrong; He told me the box don’t fit in his hive,
HAVE YOU WORKED IT OUT ??

MR CLEGG remember your back post!!
Your going to supply the UK with UK Queens with the help of these very same associations.
All the best mike

Mike?

Julie has just killed herself laughing and said. "Even I know that!"

LOL

PH

poly hive seen your Private Messages in Folder. im a dumbo on the use of replying on there.
I hope young Julies better?

Julie wants to know what you actually said to the idiot?
You know me kept me cool stamped me foot a bit!!! Anyway ask him he post on the other side a lot and on yer??? ----No names.
I got loads of stories I could write a book.

How about the man that phoned me up end season last year told me he would never buy from me again my nucs was diseased with varroa and was clogging up his Queen excluder, silly bugger.
all the best mike

Every cloud must by definition have a silver lining. This time next year you will be able to pick up a second hand hive for peanuts.
The real downside is the amount of bees that may well be kicking about with no one looking after them.
If you take the normal drop out rate of beginners from courses and then multiply it up to take account for the increased numbers of beginners started this year, next year could be interesting.

3 days later I have an irate customer telling me I sold him the wrong frames for his national hive
DEMANDING his money back?
I ask WHAT are you doing wrong; He told me the box don’t fit in his hive,
HAVE YOU WORKED IT OUT

[he post on the other side a lot and on yer??? ----No names.

Now I get it. It must have been Roger P! Or maybe Victor Meldrew?
Only joking John.

Actually guys, (Mike included) I think you might be right. I think I am voicing my frustrations at their lack of any support for anything worthwhile.

Built them a web site to attract new members. Got moaned at for attracting too many people. Wrote an article on the web site at the request of the BBKA, got moaned at for suggesting they might be old. Provided the group with Fondant (at cost) and recieved not one word of thanks. Offered to set up a queen rearing programme and was told they would think about it in a few years.

I guess I am just really tired of their lack of action for anything proactive for the area.

Im going to shut now!! lol

read my past post to you Mr Clegg-Mission
I could go on and say i told you so
welcome to my world.

i wish you all the best mike

Ah well Mission now you know.

I spent thousands of my cash trying to help local beekeepers in Aberdeenshire only to be pretty much dumped on with the "who does he think he is" attitude.

There are very few gratitudes in local beekeeping I'm afraid which is why I am very loath to join a local association.

PH

Back