A Mess!

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thank you for a helpful reply. What follows below is not for you or those who offered advice on the problem. It’s here because I cant find anywhere else to put it.

I said the beehive was put on a shed roof and the missing frames not inserted. It came to my apiary for most of last winter and went back to a ground level site. I didn‘t say it was left on the roof.
Because of the mass of comb it was not possible to inspect more than a few frames and I couldn’t work out how best to remove the comb and preserve the colony which is probably from wild stock. The workers are small and black,possibly wild Black Welsh Bees. It’s a difficult place to keep bees, high up, exposed and in conifer forest so these bees could be locally adapted.
I’ve kept bees for over twenty years, now have seven colonies. I have good years and poor, again in a difficult very exposed site. I don’t treat for varroa and had an NBU inspection this year. Inspector found little varroa and the bees are healthy. I haven’t had any winter losses for nine years but wasps were a serious problem, now resolved.
My friend is a member of the local association and has completed an initial training course. He also understand weight, ladders and the capacity of supporting structures.
I am not an idiot either. I asked for advice on dealing with a particular problem, not about ladders ,shed roofs, or how not to deal with people who make mistakes. I have some ideas for a solution but I have often found that others can have better ideas.
If you had put all this up at first you might not have got the replies you did. There is merit to laying a whole of a problem out in the first instance.
I hope you find a method to fix things to suit you both.
Perhaps you might like to share?

You could maybe treat it as cut out in the same way you would an unwanted nest. Move the inhabited frames to a new box, attach a bee vac (borrow if you don't own) then cut out the brace comb and put it into bare frames with string to hold it in and place them inside the box next to the inhabited frames. The bees will sort this all out over the next few weeks.

Only you can know if your local climate can support such an action this season though.

That's all rather harsh. It being on the roof was an 'alibi' for the mistake the friend made and made for an interetsing account. Poor bees but have the rest of us not made mistakes, forgotton to do soemthing - should we be told to get rid of our colonies as a result?

This is not a hugely friendly forum, is it? Kinda puts me off getting involved.
I’m sorry you feel that way. Sometimes you have to just pick your threads and ignore others.
Im sure there must be somewhere here you’d enjoy getting involved in.

Actually, if you delve deeply enough in you will find it an incredibly friendly, helpful and generous place. I read most new posts and whilst people disagree upon courses of action and principles of beekeeping it is usually done with good humour and without offence.

It's a lot better than some forums I've seen where the sole objective appears to be to become as objectional as possible.

This thread was not unfriendly ... the OP provided incomplete information which gave rise to some reasonable but pertinent comments about what had been done. Read a few more threads before you come to a snap judgement.

Thank you for a helpful reply. What follows below is not for you or those who offered advice on the problem. It’s here because I cant find anywhere else to put it.

I said the beehive was put on a shed roof and the missing frames not inserted. It came to my apiary for most of last winter and went back to a ground level site. I didn‘t say it was left on the roof.
Because of the mass of comb it was not possible to inspect more than a few frames and I couldn’t work out how best to remove the comb and preserve the colony which is probably from wild stock. The workers are small and black,possibly wild Black Welsh Bees. It’s a difficult place to keep bees, high up, exposed and in conifer forest so these bees could be locally adapted.
I’ve kept bees for over twenty years, now have seven colonies. I have good years and poor, again in a difficult very exposed site. I don’t treat for varroa and had an NBU inspection this year. Inspector found little varroa and the bees are healthy. I haven’t had any winter losses for nine years but wasps were a serious problem, now resolved.
My friend is a member of the local association and has completed an initial training course. He also understand weight, ladders and the capacity of supporting structures.
I am not an idiot either. I asked for advice on dealing with a particular problem, not about ladders ,shed roofs, or how not to deal with people who make mistakes. I have some ideas for a solution but I have often found that others can have better ideas.
In fairness it is easy to read the first post and assume the bees are still on the roof. I will now tell you what you should have done, put a brood box on top of the other one and waited until they moved up. I am surprised with your experience that you did not do that. Again you led us to believe you were somewhat of a novice! Now I would wait until next year and do precisely that! Not being rude, just offering advice. Precise posts help us offer proper advice

Join in the conversation and contribute, as I’m sure the debate will still continue, despite any civil war.

I am sorry you feel that way.

Compared to others I have been on, it is sweetness and light...

(For example car forums have people who ask questions, don't give the correct information and drive everyone nuts trying to get it..And then you discover the information they did give is misleading.. Or often lies when it comes to car warranty issues and big bills.. Some reactions are understandably rude as time is taken to write often highly technical replies...)

I'm not a regular contributor in here, far from it in fact. I like to lurk and glean bits of info along the way and contribute if I have anything more meaningful to say which is hardly ever given the long standing and very experienced Bee Keepers we have here but back to your point...
This in fact the most friendly forum that I am a member of, others range from full size steam engine discussions to wood and metal work... Believe me, some of those guys have opinions that aren't set in stone but they are the stone itself!
I have been keeping bees for 4 years now and if it had not been for the help and advice I got from this forum I would have simply given up. Not only that, after my initial cry for help (I killed my queen on only the 3rd hive inspection) I not only got advice but had a member take me under his wing, visit my ailing colony, put it right and support my amateur efforts till I was informed enough to go it alone.
From experience, and not only in the world of Bee keeping, if you give all the pertinent information in regards to the problem you will generally get a full answer / remedy..... Cherry pick the bits you want to give others and you are likely not to get the answers you need.
Good luck

I am sorry you feel that way.

Compared to others I have been on, it is sweetness and light...

(For example car forums have people who ask questions, don't give the correct information and drive everyone nuts trying to get it..And then you discover the information they did give is misleading.. Or often lies when it comes to car warranty issues and big bills.. Some reactions are understandably rude as time is taken to write often highly technical replies...)

I contribute to a classic car forum which is a bit more calm and polite than this one. But it frustrates me that when someone (rarely) dares to politely put someone else right on duff info, no-one supports the corrector and the idiot goes away full of praise. At least here you mostly get a bit of support whichever side of the fence you sit on.

I am sorry you feel that way too.

I can only speak of my own experience but have generally found people to be friendly and extremely helpful.

Questions get answered very quickly too.

On some forums the answer to every question is:
"that's been asked before - use search"

Ok, granted, this is not the friendliest thread on the site, but the op has been given advice, and could get more if required.

I genuinely hope you are not discouraged form getting involved.

Latest posts

Back