A liitle reassurance please

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

keithgrimes

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Found five or six cells of chalkbrood in one hive yesterday. All on the same frame. My course tutor and everything I've read tells me there's nowt to worry about. But I know there are some real experts here who's opinion i value. Whats the prognosis fellas (and ladies)?

I'd say nothing to worry about. Chalkbrood is 'one of those things' that every beekeeper sees in their hives. Its only worth worrying about if you have large patches of it (more than say 2-3 inches diameter), or a high percentage of infected cells (>10%) on a number of frames throughout the hive, and can be indicative of poor ventilation, a weak colony or a lack of nurse bees.

If you find frames keep getting chalkbrood patches on them, then there's no harm in replacing them with clean frames to remove it and stop it recurring.

What is it?

"Chalk Brood is caused by the fungus Ascophaera apis, widespread and found in seemingly unaffected colonies – often appears in the Spring in expanding colonies. The trigger is not completely understood. High carbon dioxide levels in the brood nest, as may occur if there are insufficient bees to ventilate the colony, and deficiencies of pollen are possible factors. It may also be genetic, in which case re-queening may be the cure. The fungal spores are ingested by the larvae and germinate in the gut. Strands of fungus invade the larval tissue and the larva dies, frequently after the cell has been capped. The dead larva is chalky white at first, often with a yellow centre, and becomes very hard and loose in the cell (mummies). Additional black/grey spores may develop on the surface. Mummies are removed by house bees and can be seen outside the hive or on the floor. Chalk Brood mummies should not be confused with discarded mouldy pollen, which has coloured layers. Combs can be sterilized using acetic acid."

Mostly genetic and 6 cells are nothing to worry about. I have moved badly affected hives and the mummies make an unmistakable sound of rattling across the mesh in the floor. I re-queened as soon as.

Relax.

PH

Thanks PH
really i learn more on the forum than any book also it is explained much better on here
i feel i can ask anything and the answer is on here
i live with my moto
The day i stop learning will be the day i die
the only thing i regreat is i should off kept bees 20 years ago
:Angel_anim:

Last edited:
Thanks PH
really i learn more on the forum than any book also it is explained much better on here
i feel i can ask anything and the answer is on here
i live with my moto
The day i stop learning will be the day i die
the only thing i regreat is i should off kept bees 20 years ago
:Angel_anim:

I was showing the pictures to a few people today, and the one of the frame of bees close up made two of them jump back in shock. The puzzled look I must have given them lol, then I remembered. It wasn't 3 months ago that I was exactly the same. I just wish someone would have shown me around a hive years ago. I'd have rows of my own now if they had :D

Saying that, a wasp flew in and I was cowering shouting get rid of it! They think I'm mad, showing picture of myself handling a full frame of bees, then hiding in a corner because of a wasp. My kids got rid of it for me, shhh, don't tell anyone else that :p

Latest posts

Back