A library of pollen microscope slides

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bumble Bee Slim

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
I meant to start this project last year but didn't so 2022 is the year that it hopefully happens ! So has anyone got any tips on preparing permanent pollens slides, collecting,staining,mounting etc...
Any advice would be much appreciated.
Cheers
Dave

I meant to start this project last year but didn't so 2022 is the year that it hopefully happens ! So has anyone got any tips on preparing permanent pollens slides, collecting,staining,mounting etc...
Cheers
Dave
Yes ... get a life ! Buy a book ... make it a new years resolution to do it in 2023 and with any luck the desire will wear off ....

Yes ... get a life ! Buy a book ... make it a new years resolution to do it in 2023 and with any luck the desire will wear off ....
Perhaps that was a bit harsh ... good luck ... some people enjoy collecting things that have little or no tangible benefit once you have collected them - the joy is in the hunt. Speaking as someone who has a double garage, a 400 sq ft workshop and three sheds full of stuff I have collected I do have some qualifications ...

Cheers
Dave
I think that this might be a fascinating exercise and hobby for you. I have not done much investigation with a microscope since my Zoology class at university more than fifty years ago, and do not claim any particular expertise in that area now. I wonder whether you have asked "Dr Google"? There are many things which can be discovered on the Internet, which have been placed there by people who are happy to share their discoveries. I wonder whether you have seen either of the following web-pages:
https://www.microscopemaster.com/pollen-under-the-microscope.htmlhttps://microscopeclarity.com/microscope-slide-staining-what-is-it-and-how-to-do-it/I enjoy exploring the Internet, when attempting to gain new knowledge. Some people (even some on this forum) seem to despise Wikipedia, and Youtube, but I have found that a discerning enquirer can learn a lot from them.

The main pollens are pretty easy to spot once you know them but others you could spend hours,days,weeks.I still haven't a clue what alot of pollens are and dont have the time to find out these days.

Cheers
Dave
The National Honey Show is at Esher every autumn. They usually run a pollen/microscopy course

Perhaps that was a bit harsh ... good luck ... some people enjoy collecting things that have little or no tangible benefit once you have collected them - the joy is in the hunt. Speaking as someone who has a double garage, a 400 sq ft workshop and three sheds full of stuff I have collected I do have some qualifications ...
ah but they will be infinitely cheaper and take up far less room than my guitar collection !

A good book to get you started is " practical microscopy for beekeepers " . Covers the techniques. It even covers bee dissection.
I was really into it for a couple of years but rarely get my scope out now.
The slide prep is easy. The complicated bit is identifying the pollen. Some are very similar

Dddd
A good book to get you started is " practical microscopy for beekeepers " . Covers the techniques. It even covers bee dissection.
I was really into it for a couple of years but rarely get my scope out now.
The slide prep is easy. The complicated bit is identifying the pollen. Some are very similar
Thank you, I have just ordered a copy.

I think that this might be a fascinating exercise and hobby for you. I have not done much investigation with a microscope since my Zoology class at university more than fifty years ago, and do not claim any particular expertise in that area now. I wonder whether you have asked "Dr Google"? There are many things which can be discovered on the Internet, which have been placed there by people who are happy to share their discoveries. I wonder whether you have seen either of the following web-pages:
https://www.microscopemaster.com/pollen-under-the-microscope.htmlhttps://microscopeclarity.com/microscope-slide-staining-what-is-it-and-how-to-do-it/I enjoy exploring the Internet, when attempting to gain new knowledge. Some people (even some on this forum) seem to despise Wikipedia, and Youtube, but I have found that a discerning enquirer can learn a lot from them.
Many thanks for links which I will watch over a mug of coffee later this morning.

Have a look at this for View attachment 29714identification
This may well be on my birthday wish list coming soon, I have a copy of Dorothy Hodges The Pollen Loads Of The Honey Bee which is a beautiful item but think this may be of more practical use.Thank you Dani.

Latest posts

Back