A great day

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike a

Drone Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Langstroth
Number of Hives
Between 17-20
We had our association honey show today.

I knew I had a good chance with some of my entries, my honey failed to impress the judge but I'm not that upset considering the quality was very high and two members of our association take the 1st and 2nd places every year so with a couple of 3rd places and I'm happy.

Wax - I took first last year, but knew I had to try harder this year and I was very happy with my entry

P1020611.JPG

but I never expected it to win the Moore Challenge Trophy best in show for all the honey classes and the BBKA Blue Riband for the best over all entry.

P1020664.JPG

:laughing-smiley-014

Mike !

That's splendid...looks like I've the chance to be first to offer Congratulations!!!

Richard

Nice one!

Incidentally, how do you filter your wax?

Well done you !!

I bet your heart skipped a beat when you spotted the blue ribbon.

Well done Mike, It was our association honey show today as well, great speaker,( thanks for the name Admin)lots of things to learn, went to get off the comittee but failed, no one else would take my place, still don't have to go to the meetings LOL.
Again, well done Mike

We had our association honey show today.

I knew I had a good chance with some of my entries, my honey failed to impress the judge but I'm not that upset considering the quality was very high and two members of our association take the 1st and 2nd places every year so with a couple of 3rd places and I'm happy.

Wax - I took first last year, but knew I had to try harder this year and I was very happy with my entry

P1020611.JPG

but I never expected it to win the Moore Challenge Trophy best in show for all the honey classes and the BBKA Blue Riband for the best over all entry.

P1020664.JPG

:laughing-smiley-014

I firmly believe that anyone who prepares wax to show standard deserves a medal because easy it isn't ;).
Excellent exhibit . Is the finish as out of mould ? or hand polished using silk perhaps ?

John Wilkinson

A friend used one of his wifes best wedgewood bowls as it was just the correct size but in getting the wax from the mould the bowl cracked, he was in deep s**t for days as it was irreplaceable

Very impressive, wish my wax would look like that.
Congrats on the awards.

Last year I tried various methods.

Steaming
hs03.jpg

Worked well but never got the wax perfectly clean.

hs04.jpg

So I search around on the net and found a lady in America who suggested using paper towel or kitchen roll. So I formed some mesh around a pyrex bowl placed a sheet of kitchen roll in it with the best of my wax cappings on top.

hs05.jpg

After countless attempts of trying to get the wax out of the pyrex bowl without ruining it or getting a horrid finished look. I poured the molten wax into a brand new scratch free plastic tubberware bowl and once it set gently warped the bowl inwards a small amount, turned it 45' and repeated until there was a cracking sound and the wax cake released with a mirror finish.

P1020656.JPG

Thats me on the left

Last edited:
And what a happy smile. You looked 'chuffed' - as well you should be. Well done, superb effort.

Onwards and upwards? National honey show next year?

Regards, RAB

Well done Mike, great result, bet you won't be trading the wax cake in for some foundation.Ainsie;)

Well done Mike, that wax looks so clean it looks more like a nice caramel pudding! Its a jolly good feeling beating more experienced beeks too, especially those who appear to look down their noses at newcomers
:party:

Latest posts

Back