a great cell punch

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No, I just used nicot/ jzbz type holder that goes on a frame then into apidea of sorts once drawn out

So where did you buy them?

Pretty please.

it was from eBay but if you get hold of him on his youtube link he will sell to you ( he has to others , I might have an email address ,if so I will get hold of him and see if he has or can make some more )

wont a bread punch from a fishing tackle shop do same trick its just a tube same as that one get them in 3 different sizes

So what's the advantage of a cell punch?

Is it you can select eggs rather than very young larva?
Is it to take away the fear of having to graft and handle the larva?
Does it give you a very high success rate despite lack of experience?

So what's the advantage of a cell punch?

Is it you can select eggs rather than very young larva?
Is it to take away the fear of having to graft and handle the larva?
Does it give you a very high success rate despite lack of experience?

When your eyesight is poor, and your hand/eye coordination is poor or your hand shakes, cell punching is great. It means you don't have to worry about damaging very young larvae .

You still need to be able to see them - I use a head magnifier and light in a dark garage... my eyesight is poor despite varifocals..

Success rate ? Varies between 25% and 75% - better with practise.

Very young larvae rather than eggs.

Thanks. Yes I guess if you have a slight hand shake it would be a benefit.

i had a go after going to a talk from roger Patterson and he mentioned that he use's the method so thought I would have a go and found this punch while browsing on eBay ...

Why not use the knife and cut method as in B+ YouTube link, very simple

Last edited:
Smudger, its hard to tell from his video filmed with a betamax. Does he push the metal disks with the cell in into something like a JZBZ cell cup? So one needs to replace the metal disks?

you push the metal rings through and then you push into nicot cup kit (that's what I have)
once queens have emerged i clean them and reuse .....

Was wondering if anyone managed to make contact with the chap who makes/made these punches?

I'm not able to add a comment on youtube to try and make contact.

Any info would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Thank you madasafish, very grateful for your reply.

Just recently, (few days ago), bought this from Thornes, then saw this thread. Quite like the look of this one though!

Latest posts

Back