A good read

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Autumn is approaching and the long evenings will be begging for a good book to be read. I want a beekeeping book that is very detailed like Hooper, but READABLE and covers bee biology as well. What would people recommend?

I know there is great stuff online, but I do like a book.

There are many.
The Buzz About Bees: Biology of a Superorganism
by Jürgen Tautz

Mating biology of honey bees (Apis mellifera) by Keoniger

Honeybee democracy, Seeley....

That should get you going. All science based and very readable.

Agree with the above
And when you’ve had enough bee biology read Seeley’s “Hunting the Wild Bees”
It’s about beelining, a fascinating thing to do in the less populated places of this Isle.
Then check out the National Honey Show on YouTube which has some excellent videos of their lectures.
There’s a wonderful one on DCAs by Koeniger
Happy reading :)

As suggestions above and also books by Mark L Winston - from where I sit and bee time both good

One of my first beekeeping books was E.B Wedmores "a manual of beekeeping" which while very dated in parts still contains masses of useful information/advice. What has niggled me for a while is what do his initials E.B stand for. I have searched the web and so far drawn a blank. Anybody know?

Many thanks for that. I wonder if my father who was also an electrical engineer during a similar time span (and also a designer of switchgear) knew him.

Many thanks for that. I wonder if my father who was also an electrical engineer during a similar time span (and also a designer of switchgear) knew him.

You may have to wait until you get your wings to answer that question.

Latest posts

Back