A few Varroa on the board now

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

john1

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Hi,
I checked the varroa board at the bottom of the brood box last weekend and I could see around 10 to 15 varroa on the board.
I did ApiVar treatment for around 10 weeks between August and October last year. I could NOT do the vaporiser treatment by the end of December.
Is there anything I need to do now to stop the varroa?
Thanks,

Is that 10-15 varroa over several weeks? I suggest clean the board, replace and count the drop over 3-5 days. Then read the advice on Beebase/National Bee Unit. No worries if the drop is c. 2 per day.
Varroa are never eradicated, only controlled.

Hi,
I checked the varroa board after 5 days today.
I could find only 3 - 5 varroa. I hope I don't need to do anything other than checking occasionally the number of varroa.
Thanks

Varroa are never eradicated, only controlled.
I agree.....that's why it's a total nonsense for the Government to say that we all have to 'report' if our bees have varroa to the NBU! It certainly sealed my decision not to register with them this year. It was the last straw, combined with the hassle of last year!

I agree.....that's why it's a total nonsense for the Government to say that we all have to 'report' if our bees have varroa to the NBU! It certainly sealed my decision not to register with them this year. It was the last straw, combined with the hassle of last year!
You don’t have to report anything. If you look the default position is that your hive do have varroa.

If you look the default position is that your hive do have varroa.
I have a lot more than one hive. I eventually received a reply from the GOV DEFRA people. I think it took six months? It told me to go to the site. That said that I had to report varroa, but did not say to report NO varroa. WHAT is the use of that? It seems totally ludicrous and pointless.....as much as having to say a dog has fleas, or any bovine has warble-fly (look them up). Consequently, I have decided to bow out of such a disaster zone, this season, till the Law says I have to legally register!

Back