A couple of quick questions

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Natureboy44

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
Just curious and know somebody on here will know the answers

If bees are bringing in pollen does it mean they are likely to be bringing in nectar too?

Can bees store feeds like candipoline or do they just use them?

Just thought of another one as I have seen some mixed answers online about this.

How far do bees travel to collect pollen and is there anyway of figuring out where they are getting it from?

No they can be collecting pollen alone! Nectar is temp dependant, although what that is for all plants I’ve no idea. As to what they are foraging on just go look, it’s liable to be the same as the other side of the fence. Bees will select nectar for higher sugar contents and for something like rape are known to travel. As to how far they will travel the answer is probably as far as needed within the limits of the flight range and I think that’s generally accepted as a couple of miles. The old adage is move bees 3 miles but I would suggest that allows for an overlap with any new location drawing them on, I don’t think that’s far off for a guide. I’ve had few returning with shorter moves so could well be room for error.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back