A couple of behaviour puzzles

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mannky

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
Last night about 100 drones were crowding round the back of the hive as if this was their drone zone. I took a photo which I will try and post once my phone is charged.

On the other hive a couple of thousand bees have taken to nestling under the mesh floor. I have tried taking them away with the bee brush and putting them on the landing board but they have return.

Just wondering if these behaviours signify anything. :nature-smiley-013:

On the other hive a couple of thousand bees have taken to nestling under the mesh floor. I have tried taking them away with the bee brush and putting them on the landing board but they have return.

More info on set-up useful .....

Possibles: Questions first though, do you have a marked queen and are you certain of her whereabout? Any signs of queen cells on the make?

queen outside the brood box, an aborted swarm, have you tried knocking them all off, a light sugar spray and 'bunging' them back in the brood box?

Brood box too full, need to super?

High forrage activity and entrance too small / congestion so hanging up outside (I dont really believe this even as I write it but I'll leave it in)?

Ventilation, made worse if the mesh floor is being partly blocked by adhering bees.

I think I would super irrespective of how much of the previous one has been drawn and knock them back into the brood box and then observe

Too hot? Got bees hanging under a TBH at the moment. Have just contact with the combs so are happy there!

Drones....could there be a patch that smells of queen somehow outside the hive?

Is your Queen clipped ?, they could have tried to swarm and she couldnt get back in, one of mine did this a couple of weeks back, the queen was under the OMF in a large cluster of bees.

Latest posts

Back