A change of scene

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
Number of Hives
None of my own
Part of my plan for next year involves one of my hives doing a 180 degree turn.

I'm assuming that doing this in one move may confuse the hell out of them bee-smillie so how many degrees would you recommend so they dont really notice it?

Or should I just wait for winter and do it in one turn then?

You can do 90 degrees at a time but 45 is better. If you are in no rush leave them a week between moves but you will find even after taking weeks to do the about face some bees will still try to approach from the wrong end - but they find their way home eventually.

Thanks RoofTops.

What do you think about the idea of a 180 turn mid-winter - or is it too dangerous for any making a quick toilet break when the sun appears

We had a gap in the back of one of the hives which we didn't find for a while. When we blocked it, it took about a week for the bees that had got used to using the back door to stop clustering round the back looking for a way in. So, I guess this is similar to a 180deg turn done all at once - and given the time it took some of them to find their way round to the front, I would worry about doing it when it's cold.

Latest posts

Back