A canopy/roof over apiary?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BernardBlack

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Not planning this. I just wondered...

Would it be advantageous to have a canopy/roof over your apiary?

Just wondered if it would help with damp, shade or cold winds (if say, the north facing side was covered up too).

Just wondered if it would help with damp, shade or cold winds (if say, the north facing side was covered up too).
As you know some people in exposed areas have beehauzes my grandad use to have some along with log hives up in the foothills of the alps.
If you did think about a canopy why not just build one of these.

A3 correx sheets held down with strap. Paint correx with camo to prevent google earth showing them up.

As you know some people in exposed areas have beehauzes my grandad use to have some along with log hives up in the foothills of the alps.
If you did think about a canopy why not just build one of these.

Wow a lot of work goes into those.

What’s the beehauzes then?

On the original canopy idea... it might be also beneficial as you could carry out inspections even if it’s raining.

On the original canopy idea... it might be also beneficial as you could carry out inspections even if it’s raining.

What? with the hives packed to the Gunnels with pretty peed off bees?

Wow a lot of work goes into those.

What’s the beehauzes then?

Beehauzes link these are rather grand examples.

What? with the hives packed to the Gunnels with pretty peed off bees?

Are we thinking of different things? :unsure:

I was thinking of a canopy/roof over the apiary, maybe 7-8 foot high, and open on three (or all sides).

I took these photos a couple of years ago. This one is at the BijenHuis at Wageningen, NL.

Attachments

• IMG_20181216_135540.jpg
    IMG_20181216_135540.jpg
    3.9 MB · Views: 11
  • IMG_20181216_135613.jpg
    IMG_20181216_135613.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 12
  • IMG_20181216_135632.jpg
    IMG_20181216_135632.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 12
  • IMG_20181216_135715.jpg
    IMG_20181216_135715.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 12

I was thinking of a canopy/roof over the apiary, maybe 7-8 foot high, and open on three (or all sides).
You are not the first person to think about the possible advantages of a shelter roof for your apiary. The type of weather you have in your locality would have an important influence on the design of your shelter. Are you trying to give protection against strong winds? Or severe heat in summer? Or, perhaps, any of the different types of rainy conditions which relate to your area?
I think that a canopy such as you suggest could be beneficial to both you and your bees. I think that the shelter which features in one of Jeff Horchoff's videos is a good example. You may be interested in watching his video:

I'm Considering making a small shelter for my mini nucs as the apiary I want to use doesn't have any real shade and I'm worried they may overheat.

I'd guess JBMs post was based on the bees all being stuck at home because inclement weather kept them grounded

Beehauzes link these are rather grand examples.
They are great aren't they. When are you going to build one and experiment properly with AZ hives, they're more available now. Some chap up here experimented with an AZ, but he just stood it outside like his other hives instead of installing it properly, then made a video basically moaning it was no good !!

Back