A 'bit' of a sting???

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

keithgrimes

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
I hesitated to post this as it sounds completely bonkers. I got jumped by one of my bees yesterday as I was watering the veg. She landed on my temple and I felt a slight sting, almost like a pin prick. No venom sac, no dead bee (as far as I could see). Slight irritation for about ten minutes but no swelling. Is it even remotely possible that I got a warning jab with no full proper sting, or is it my fertile imagination?bee-smillie

Happened to me when one of them flew into me by accident. The bee whacked into my face, I wasn't sure if it was a sting or the impact that I felt, then afterwards there was mild swelling. No sting left behind, the reaction was nowhere near what I'd expect for a "full" sting.

Could they be young bees that somehow found themselves out and about?
Are you sure they were honeybees not some other insect imposter?
:cool:
Sam

definitely honeybee from my hive, I actually saw it fly at me. I just hived a 5 frame nuc the day before so could be junior bees trying out their wings I guess.

...more of a 'graze' then. Ive had a few of those, and consider myself lucky its not a full on sting!

Sometimes a sting doesn't have to stay stuck in to do a lot of damage...

A few weeks ago I had the pleasure of being stung through my veil, onto my top lip, whilst moving a hive. As soon as it happened I new what was going to happen...

There was no sting/sac remaining stuck in my lip, so I'm guessing the sting had pulled itself out as the bee was pushed away, perhaps the soft tissue of the lip enabled this (?).

10 minutes later - fat top lip
30 mins later - impression of a loosing boxer
1 hour later - full-blown homer simpson impression
2 days later - still as bad and I'm now sick of all the jokes and avoid leaving the house
4 days later - getting better
6 days later - all gone

All from one little sting ;-)

Latest posts

Back