A bit more improvement needed.

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am using another
Doesn't surprise me, I had a message this afternoon, colony with six brood combs and building wild comb. ;) Sign of a good year perhaps?
Only once had bees boiling out and stinging, orange things, they died. ;) Sounds like yours on borrowed time have run out of time. I would use another mating site as well.
Assess your stock queens and only raise from the very best. Be very honest as well, we have eight potentials this year but only three of those are definites at the moment.
Only one that potentially has to meet her maker, a swarm that turned up in an apple tree at the farm. I didn't think it was ours at the time, it spent winter in a double nuc and seemed overly eager to pile out, even when I was just hefting them. I'll see how they perform tomorrow.
We are using a different Mating site this season.
What did John lenon sing " living on borrowed time".
We can hope for a good season I've got so much to try out and new stock coming in plus.........

Can't be as bad as the 4 days I have spent trying to get a pair of spaniels mating....it will take me a long time to recover from the visual trauma!!
Well.....there's a quote I thought I'd never see on here!

When were they reared? If last year, too early unless these colonies are boiling over and stinging en mass. If that's the case just nip and unite. If 2019, you have had a year to assess good or bad so if you feel their temperament doesn't meet criteria, nip and unite.
How many queens are you rearing from and have they proven their worth over at least two seasons? One season really isn't enough IMO but I will make exceptions. In the case where the queen has proved exceptional for two or three seasons and her daughters and grand daughters are following suit, I would have no problem with using the youngest. We have three queens who fit this category with up to four generations of offspring queens. Two of these fourth generation queens are on the cards as possibilities this year. One of them was the result of an apiary vicinty mating at the end of August last year. Queen seen and BIAS on September 15th, they are looking well and still have stores, gorgeous little black bees.
I'm hoping the old girls are still around, especially 'Lagertha'. She was the first to reach 'exceptional' status and has maintained those high marks, producing over a hundred pounds of honey last year in her fourth season and a colony that never seems to stop flying.
I will shed a tear when she goes
Wow! No wonder you’re so attached 😍

Latest posts

Back