a bit late for wasps?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

taff..

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
I've just had a huge wasp buzzing around in my kitchen :toetap05:

there's 2 strange things about that,

1 - its december and I thought they should all be dead by now
2 - how on earth did it get in, all the windows and doors are closed :confused:

I sprayed it twice and it still carried on buzzing around, the spray seemed to have little effect on it so out came this weeks paper, one swat later it bounced off the kitchen window.

not wanting to miss an opertunity to procatice, while it was still twitching away on the window sill I picked it up and clipped its wings.

wasps DO have a use :cheers2:

Was it a queen looking to hibernate?

I'm not too sure to be honest, it was quite large but the same shape as any other wasp that I've seen

edit - I've just looked on google images and I think it probably was a queen, now a dead queen

Last edited:
Nice to hear that you are getting in plenty of queen clipping practice. Be careful though, because it will be a bit late after you realise that you've just tw*tted your best queen with a newspaper. :)

Moderation in all things.

Nice to hear that you are getting in plenty of queen clipping practice. Be careful though, because it will be a bit late after you realise that you've just tw*tted your best queen with a newspaper. :)

Moderation in all things.

ha ha ha ha , Do queen wasps sting??

TB

Very much so, and i swear they enjoy it..

I had numerous issues with the yellow jackets this summer/autumn, and many battles won, with and without the help of the Bees.

maybe the warm weather making them more active same as the bees I guess.

We had a queen in the house last week, from my point of view it was ' KILL IT, KILL IT NOW!!!' however for HWMBO it is a source of income in the summer months so as a compromise It was released into the rain - Hope it Drowned!!! Was probably hidding away in the loft and came down when it got warmer due to global melt down of the aga!

Latest posts

Back