A BeeL warning applicible any where.....

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Poly Hive

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
12 and 18 Nucs
"Some observations-

Just because someone posts here about how well they do keeping bees does not
mean they do a good job of keeping bees. Sometimes they lie, but more often
they fall to pride and do not like to admit failure.

All beekeeping is local- so if it works in Florida it does not mean it will
work in Maine. That also works in reverse, for those who have trouble with
the concept.

Often, the greatest pontificators, like me, keep the fewest bees. The ones
who keep lots of bees are too busy to post here. Except in the winter, but
then they are down in Aruba on the beaches enjoying their five star hotels
from all the money they made pollinating.

Even if someone implies they have a 100 acre spread full of bees, talk to
someone who has actually seen said spread.

If someone has a website extolling their way to keep bees, talk to someone
who has actually visited the apiary before you believe them. Even then,
exercise caution as there are many beekeepers who have no idea what they are
looking at and would not know KBV from their BVDs.

If someone fights science with science, then listen and make up your mind
after reading the actual studies (since they should post a link). If someone
fights science with opinion, you will be in a lot of trouble if you follow
the opinion, no matter how many agree with it. Lemmings go with the group.

There is lots more, but one easy way to judge those who post here is go to
the archives and use the search engine to see all their posts. Same with
issues. Often the subject has come up before.

http://community.lsoft.com/SCRIPTS/WA-LSOFTDONATIONS.EXE?A0=BEE-L

No need to search my name for you will find nothing but brilliant posts,
that I have never lost a colony, never treat, live in Aruba, and have
100,000 colonies managed by Playboy Bunnies. Did I mention my uncanny
resemblance to Tom Cruise?

Bill Truesdell
Aruba"

So very very true.

PH

:iagree::iagree:

well written and it is something everyone should be aware of, especially new beekeepers reading the forum.

I'm sure I'm not the only one who sits here fuming at what is sometimes written and some of the outlandish responses too. That is usually when I realise what I am reading is tosh - simply by the level of my rising blood pressure !

well said again, PH

regards

S

Good points PH, you do get to know those who speak with knowledge and true experience, i dont usually carry out any advice untill it has been verified by a select few - "You know who you are".

Very correct, true or whatever description you like.

Me? I am just a hobbyist. I've never yet got to more than seven (or eight temporarily) full colonies and more like four, and for two years the bees dwindled because I was living 120 miles away for long periods. Maybe not every detail might be included, but careful wording is essential, so as not to be taken out of context.

I would miss not having bees in the garden and could quite happily just have two or perhaps a third in the garden.

BUT I know that while my quiet, well behaved bees are OK I still need somwhere to park a stroppy hive. Also having a liking for honey and I find moving some to the OSR, beans, etc helps to keep in with the farmers at the out-apiaries, if that is what one could call them! Beekeeping is so much easier, too, if you have enough colonies and enough sites to move them around if necessary. Not cheaper, just more flexible.

I don't ever say I do it the perfect way but I do try to consider the bees' response - it's a very uphill struggle to change their ways!

What I do now is not necessarily what I did when I started. I know better, I hope, and give careful thought before I make any changes with them. A piece of paper with actions, effects, possible effects and 'oops!' might be a good suggestion before anyone even asks a question.

My view is there is no one correct method/solution for all situations, and often a lot. That is why so many questions are answered in so many diverse ways - the actual situation is not even described and the obvious route may not even be one of the alternatives.

Up to recently nearly everyone learned slowly - from a mentor (who was probably doing the things that seemed to work for them, or that was just the way the book said to do it. Now with the www you don't just get how to do it from your local area, replies might come in from anywhere in the county, country, continent or further afield.

Often, if I offer a reply it is not like I would do it, but just a suggestion of how it could be done. One has to think what the options are - perhaps for a person starting with one colony and little kit - and don't get all the options correct. Why don't I do it that way? Well, I don't care if I make a mistake, I put it right ASAP. Not a big mistake (I hope), but often I still don't have the right bits of kit just when I want it - even after near to ten years on! I often have a choice of options.

The one thing that really bugs me is when someone says 'it only costs 50 quid to start beekeeping', when they really mean you could, but unlikely, and it will certainly not be the end of the expense. Yes, a box with a bait frame might get a swarm. Even less than 50 quid! A bumble bee box is less hassle, but less productive.

I may well go and look-see how many colonies I have lost since this weather arrived this coming week. It won't be many, I am sure.

Reason? I havent got many!

Regards, RAB

So very true PH,I remember the time I asked on the BBKA forum what I should do about a colony and was given advice from a member who is on a couple of exec commities at the BBKA.
Off I went to the apiary and carried out the advice.
When I arrived home feeling very pleased with myself I logged back onto the forum only to read about half a dozen replies saying "No dont ever do that!".

I learned a lesson that day that I still use here,enjoy reading other members posts but try to work out who the best members are for advice and take a few replies with a pinch of salt.

You are correct that we should be cautious about net posters PH but for new beeks a forum like this has lots of advantages.

Firstly you can get a pretty quick repsonse to a question, undoubtedly nearly all the posters are what I would call "genuine" and give their advice freely.
Secondly a different range of opinions is offered.

This is good because you can then choose what to do.
Beekeeping is all about choices and sometimes when you have a mentor you feel obliged to follow them exactly, even if in your bones it does not feel right. (This year I've had 2 v. experienced beeks visiting my garden - one said you must go for double b/b the other said no, never)

I think we are all of an age where we can "suss out" when someone is posting rubbish, and I've got to say that the advice that I have received from this forum has been helpful and useful. It is my decison whether or not I act on it.

Perhaps the best thing of all is that it makes me think about what I'm doing and going to do.

Keep posting girls and boys.

I have to agree, that from time to time the quality of the advice is perhaps variable, but i honestly feel that I have never come across advice posted in a way that has been intentionally designed to mislead. So take a bow everyone, despite our differences in technique, ability and opinion we are sort-of one mind. :grouphug:

The richness and range of the advice on offer is impressive, if at times a little frustrating as opinions occasionally polarise in opposite directions. :boxing_smiley:

I'm the thin fellah sat in the corner wearing the dunces cap that's actually a very thick filter paper. Or was that thick fellah and thin filter paper. :)

I'm sure there is enough food there for supporters, detractors and humourists alike. :)

With the weather continuing as it is, good luck to everyone and good fortune to the bees at the cold front. :cheers2:

Well said - as someone at our local association once said:

"Someone who says they have 20 years experience keeping bees just means that they've had more years than you being confused by them. Bees don't read the manual, and if they ever have, its not the same manual as you have."

Thats why a forum is such a nice way to get info - you ask a question, let everyone battle out the correct answer, and then get to decide which of the answers your bees are most likely to be thinking of :)

Thats why a forum is such a nice way to get info - you ask a question, let everyone battle out the correct answer, and then get to decide which of the answers your bees are most likely to be thinking of

very well put!!:cheers2:

Thats why a forum is such a nice way to get info - you ask a question, let everyone battle out the correct answer, and then get to decide which of the answers your bees are most likely to be thinking of :)

:iagree:

The variation in process and procedures I find educational. I am selecting what I feel is right for me in my situation and also what I feel comfortable with. Sometimes the answer is none of the above but a combination.

:grouphug:

Latest posts

Back