5 Frame Nucs

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Moonglow

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
Can anyone reccommend where to buy some 14 X12 5 Frame nuc boxes from
with metal roofs and OMF
Somebody has said that they would like to buy me one for christmas

Not easy to come by. My original was a you-know-who's (expensive but good) standard National. It now has an eke attached and the floor screwed on as well. Large-ish holes cut in the floor and a piece of mesh fitted over, or rather under.

I think a supplier can deliver a fairly expensive plastic concvertible 3-in-1 plastic for about 60 quid. I will pm you if I find it.

May be available in cabinet maker's quality from Hivemaker?

Regards, RAB

'Expensive but good' do a 14 x 12 in flat or made up. Sort your own floor.

Regards, RAB

MuswellMetro

If it was the gin there is no solution, but if the former you could just post the epay item #. Admin's 'auto watcherer' won't flag your post to him that way.

I see that seller is also using it to sell live bees, so circumventing the epay rules! Would likely sell gift vouchers for them (same seller?).

Regards, RAB

It must of been the Gin,everyone is welcome to post Ebay links to others auctions,like o9o say's the 'auto watcherer' will ignore it.

MuswellMetro

If it was the gin there is no solution, but if the former you could just post the epay item #. Admin's 'auto watcherer' won't flag your post to him that way.

I see that seller is also using it to sell live bees, so circumventing the epay rules! Would likely sell gift vouchers for them (same seller?).

Regards, RAB

yep must have been the gin..been one of those days, my 21 year old daughter had just phoned to say she was alright but involved in an big explosion at Bristol Univesity chemsistry lab and her friend was badly hurt...so the gin bottle came out early

Bees, he was not advertiseing gift voucher on the advert when i purchased...but don't think i be buying bees...600 miles round trip and 12 hour journey...£230 plus 20 gallons Diesel in the land rover £100 so £330 for a five frame nuc of bees ...not forgetting the numness in the hands from the vibration, deafness from the engine noise ,dislocated knee from the harsh clutch pedal and the bruseing to my coxis if idrive the 88" for more than an hourL

the nuc is ok for a summer nuc but has a feeding hole in the roof so along with 12mm sides needs a bit of weather proofing if you wanted to overwinter in it

Last edited:
Can anyone reccommend where to buy some 14 X12 5 Frame nuc boxes from
with metal roofs and OMF
Somebody has said that they would like to buy me one for christmas

just seen a beeks polystyrene Nuc that takes 14X12 frames, it was at our out apiary, i understand its a Park Bees of Blackheath Polyhive NUC

as it being used by bees could not see inside,

so has anyone else seen/used/looked inside one, i have been told it is a langstroth NUC with inserts that convert it to BS national or 14x12

£39+VAT)

Why not try and make one of Hedgerowpete's. He has done an excellent video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v5x9Yo1ZXI0 on youtube.
I followed his instructions and mine came out okay, make the odd mod.

DSCF0336.jpg

Why not ask Tom Bick

I am sure he makes some 14x12 nucs.

And they will be made to a very high standard.
:cheers2:

To me the most important thing in nucs are insulation.
It keeps the hive warm and gives a good brooding.

Polystyrene is splended.

Those Parkbeekeeping polynucs are not fabulous - just OK. The polystyrene is soft. Mine is 2 years old, and has had bees in it say 8 months of that, and they have chewed up the castelations and other edges. It won't last much longer. What is brilliant is that the 3 in one design though... you can fit different types of frame and it has a good integrated feeder.

K

Those Parkbeekeeping polynucs are not fabulous - just OK. The polystyrene is soft. Mine is 2 years old, and has had bees in it say 8 months of that, and they have chewed up the castelations and other edges.
K

Yes but it must be real beehive stuff.

However a thin plywood is not good for small cluster. That is why you do not get normal hives for winter.

not fabulous - just OK

Thankyou, Polyanwood.

I have recently been researching a poly nuc. I, too, was attracted by the 'universal' nature of the product. I have asked them quite directly, after assistance from others on the forum, what density polystyrene is used in the construction of their hives.

I received a 'stalling reply' and have sent a further detailed e-mail clearly laying out my intentions/requirements/expectations. The initial response mentioned insulation qualities but did not answer the question I asked. I wondered why.

It looks like I no longer need the information from them, unless they have upgraded the specification to a more realistic level.

I will await a response, but am now even less confident the information will be forthcoming. My thoughts were that the density was just adequate to avoid bee damage but insufficient for any 'robust' mechanical handling. I also asked for external dimensions and internal - well, enough for me to do a few calculations.

Destruction by the bees in such a short time-scale is certainly not OK in my book. Best part of 60 quid (delivered) for, say, a year of service is definitely not value for money.

Perhaps you could give me the thickness of the walls, please? And when it is no longer serviceable a quick calculation of the density may be in oder as information for forum members. Maybe one could graph satisfactory and other results to find the minimum density required.

Thanks again. Looks like you may have saved me a waste-of-money investment.

Regards, RAB

The design of the poly nuc with the inserts to fit different frame sizes and the integrated feeder make it well beyond my brain power to work out the density:hat:

I also bought some of park beekeeping's full size poly langstroths and they are made of the same stuff and are crumbly. What is true is that the bees in the poly hives and the poly nucs over winter much better than the ones in wood and actually they seem better in Summer too... don't get too hot. I wanted to buy more poly langstroths that are high density polystyrene but have interchangeable frames with the wooden langstroths, but haven't found any yet.

K

Hi Polyanwood

Have you tried the Swienty equipment, it should meet your requirements.

Regards Ian

I wanted to buy more poly langstroths that are high density polystyrene but have interchangeable frames with the wooden langstroths, but haven't found any yet.

Try swienty's they rock on the poly scale :)

Thats what I'm using, very tough poly

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back