40 hives stolen in Oxfordshire.

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chris Manton

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
40 hives were had away from our apiary near Fringford. They were seen last Sunday and they left 8 behind (ones with rubbish lids and no straps).

The Police have been informed but I think it's important to remind the community to be extra vigilant. Thanks.

Attachments

• fringford.jpg
    fringford.jpg
    71.2 KB · Views: 215
That's terrible sorry to hear that I hope the scum are caught by the police ..

Chris,

Sorry to hear you've been turned over. Not a pleasant experience for sure.

Chris,

Sorry to hear you've been turned over. Not a pleasant experience for sure.

+1

Good luck with catching the bastards and retrieving your hives. If you need help putting a sly boot in their ribs I'm sure you'd get no end of volunteers!

Probably a coincidence but you never know?

I logged on to Facebook half hour ago and noticed an article of 40 x beehives for auction somewhere in southern England.

It’s not the same ones that were stolen here is it?

Sorry to hear this. I hope the culprits are caught.

Not going to denigrate the overworked and underfunded emergency services though.

I tried but was unable to relocate the article. Not a big user of facebook and not familiar with it im afraid.

Not 200 hives at Lincoln Auction?
I’ve had a search and found the article again on Facebook.

It’s on the BBKA’s Facebook page dated 240318 timed at 12:11hrs. It shows 40 various hives for sale at an auction. The picture shows all 40hives lined up ina single row comprising of wooden nationals with and without supers, polystyrene nationals and nucs.
I don’t know if these are connected with those that were stolen?

Possibly hidden at some dead end like Goddington (now, there is an old haunt!) or, more likely, taken a long way away.

It was bad enough when one bar steward pinched three of mine. Colonies found and returned, but they all succumbed due to mishandling.

One other possibility is a commercial teabag who has lost a lot of his colonies.

Police should be on it within a week or so, but only if you know the perpetrator and talk to you local superintendent. That was my experience with my missing hives!

I can see that branding frame tops might put the buggers off pinching them.

Latest posts

Back