4 of 4 disillusioned Bee Keeper

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have only had 3 or 4 stings this year. I don't wear gloves & try to be careful. Last year I had more stings and wore gloves. Some of my colonies are quite stroppy but their bark is worse than their bite.

I am fine with being stung when I do something stupid or clumsy but if they just randomly land on my hand and sting then I don't like it, and if it happened often I'd change the queen.

They're not attacking any place in particular, in the last few weeks I've had both hands (Through marigolds), both arms (through suit) a leg (through jeans (sweat soaked) and I suspect I would have had a few in the head had I not had my suit on.

I think, from your description, that you're only wearing a loose fitting smock over jeans. I started off with a smock and some insect-repellent impregnated walking trousers over my own. It worked fine - but there does need to be a gap between your bee clothes and your flesh otherwise a sting will reach you and sometimes they can cause quite a reaction.

I react quite badly if I'm stung on my hands, so always wear good gloves. Mine are like these http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/370644627544?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649 but I wear thin cotton ones underneath because my hands get so sweaty. So far, touch wood, I haven't been stung through them. I wash both pairs in washing soda solution after every apiary visit.

If you do get stung you need to wash whatever has been stung, otherwise the pheromones will stay and the bees will target the same place next time.

The other thing to remember is to try not to shake bees off you, they'll think it's an attack and will react accordingly. Try to keep hand and arm movements as smooth as possible during an inspection, and if the bees find your hands or arms interesting then a few puffs of smoke around your wrists will mask whatever scent they've found.

Hi Mothman,

Sorry you're having a tough time this year.

I do think there is much in what experienced beeks say about year 2 being much tougher than year 1.
I, for one, thought beekeeping was fairly straightforward last year. What were people going on about?

Now, I look back with a certain amount of embarrassment at that certitude.

But it's different in year 2, when the hive is no more the baby nuc you knew in year 1. Come this spring, my colony seemed more like a stroppy teenager than anything else. They too have grown and changed, and show they have a will of their own. And managing an AS produces 2 colonies different from what was known.

My lot seem more defensive/offensive than last year. I've had many more stings - and I'm much more hesitant in handling them than I was.

They are demanding much more respect this year.

But, I reckon I've learned a lot, changed and 'grown up' much more.
I don't think year 3 will be a cinch - but I do think I'll be less arrogant and better prepared.

Stick at it,

Dusty

Last edited:
1. Where in the 'UK' are you - we are a big community and if you are local someone with a bit more experience may be able to advise or help you...

2. Bees are more stingy this year - as I have found to my cost as I react really badly...

3. Think about re-queening...I know it is difficult to find HM...but there are ways...search 'requeening' threads...

4. See if you can find a keeper who will support/inspect if you can't...for a honey split maybe?

5. Talk to someone in your location assoc...see if it is a local phenomenon...

6. Don't give up - I went through this, and I am sure many relative newbees do...things will calm - or you will solve the issues and it will calm down and then you will enjoy it again...

7. Agreed - non-drowsy anti-hists are a must otherwise zombie mode strikes!

:iagree:

There is bound to be someone in your local BKA that would give you a dig out. I like to visit friends apiaries from time to time just to observe how they do things. I believe we can always learn from one another, that's what this forum is all about. I am sure that someone local to you would help you out but your BKA is the key.
Good luck
Andy

I like to visit friends apiaries from time to time just to observe how they do things. I believe we can always learn from one another, that's what this forum is all about. I am sure that someone local to you would help you out ...

@ Mothman - It would be an idea to put your apiary's location is in your profile, it doesn't have to be exact, a county is good enough. Without knowing where you are nobody on the forum can tell if they can help you or not.

Thankyou

Thankyou to All who replied. I got back to the hives in a 'bombproof' outfit.

Whist I did still feel a bit timid and got a number of stings in the gloves (but not in me!) I feel I can now take on your helpful advice and get back into the bees - hopefully with more confidence with each visit. I am sure the slightly cooler weather helps too.

things we have learned for calmer bees...

Bees Dont like sharp sounds and vibration
After you crack the propolis seal wait 5 seconds before lifting.
Bees like it dark
cover the open box as much as you can with something opaque.
bees attack fast and jerky moving things
smooth and flowing movements of the hands, dont rush . If you need to be quick make sure it is really smooth
Never point out anything
bees dont sting a hive or a bee trying to brush past them
when going to lift a frame keep the fingers in contact with wood. slide them in from just below the outside lip of the box over the top on to the frame.

If you are feeling nervous hold the hive box and tell yourself "bees dont sting hives, I am part of the hive"

Last edited:
Well done Mothman. Takes a bit of courage :)

Yep, well done ... confidence has a lot to do with it - Have you tried Olbas oil on your hands or Oil of cloves. If you decide to go back to the thin nitriles as you get on with them then you should try a drop or two on your gloves after you have put them on. Seems to work and the bees move away from your hands.

I wear a full suit at all times and leather gauntlets, just approaching the end of my second year as a novice beek with 2 hives and I have not had a sting yet that has penetrated my clothing. Not that my bees particularly love me, there's always a contingent trying to find ways of making contact with my face, but thus far my PPE has stood up to the job.

Use a frame holder to distance your hands and an Aspivenin once your stung as soon as possible.
I find that I don't even need anti histamines if I can draw out venom quickly but that my experience.

How close are your hive to each other?

Once your gloves/suit etc. have been stung make sure they are washed to get rid of the smell otherwise they'll just attract more stings next time.

However, and I think it was Queens59 who suggested this first, requeen. There's really no excuse for unpleasant aggressive bees. I recently was fortunate to go through some friend's colonies with very calm bees ... One of them rarely wears a veil and neither wore gloves. it was cool, overcast and with squally showers. These are experienced beekeepers who have (and continue) to work hard to improve their stock.

Talk to association colleagues and see who has well behaved and good tempered bees ... they do exist and they make beekeeping very much more enjoyable.

All of the above advice is very good. I react badly to stings and never take chances or think I will be in and out quickly so don't need all my gear.
BUT remember unless you want your Beekeeping to become a business its just your hobby AND YOU SHOULD BE ENJOYING IT.
If you are not then seriously think do I really want to be doing this. I think it can be very easy to get wrapped up in having lots of hives and producing lots of honey but if its a chore then its no fun.
For me anyway the fun is in the learning about and observing the bees and meeting like minded people at conferences etc. I read lots and listen to all the advice then do my own thing - as long as my bees are healthy and fed anything else is a bonus.

Last edited:
One thing I didn't read in this thread is about wearing a baseball cap. I have started wearing one as it keeps the veil away from your face. My BB veil is very sturdy but the cap just gives me the extra confidence.

I'm only in my first year and from everything I read, year 2 can be very challenging but I am confident that I can get though it... ( famous last words perhaps!)

Hello there.
take an anthistamine half hour before opening the hive as it needs to be in your system to work.
my bees are terrors at this time of the year. so rather than opening the hive I just watch what theyr'e doing and remove the roof and gently heft the hive to check on the stores. If my back hurts they have enough.

Hi Mothman,

Sorry you're having a tough time this year.

I do think there is much in what experienced beeks say about year 2 being much tougher than year 1.
I, for one, thought beekeeping was fairly straightforward last year. What were people going on about?

Now, I look back with a certain amount of embarrassment at that certitude.

But it's different in year 2, when the hive is no more the baby nuc you knew in year 1. Come this spring, my colony seemed more like a stroppy teenager than anything else. They too have grown and changed, and show they have a will of their own. And managing an AS produces 2 colonies different from what was known.

My lot seem more defensive/offensive than last year. I've had many more stings - and I'm much more hesitant in handling them than I was.

They are demanding much more respect this year.

But, I reckon I've learned a lot, changed and 'grown up' much more.
I don't think year 3 will be a cinch - but I do think I'll be less arrogant and better prepared.

Stick at it,

Dusty

Keep on going I felt like giving up earlier in the year but things have improved, try and get an experienced beek to come and help, beekeepers seem to be such a friendly bunch( well mostly!!)

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back