3d printing and beekeeping

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joe9052

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
WBC
Number of Hives
2xWBC,1xPolyNAT,1Apidea,14x12Nuc
A question for you all, what would you make for beekeeping, if you had access to a 3d printer?

Recently after purchasing a feeder for an apidea and finding the qx was missing, I ended up making one with my 3d printer, then wanting a challenge of the taking a apidea through winter, I have also made a new floor that allows ventilation, again using the 3d printer.

Something really simple - a plug for a Porter escape hole.
I've got three Thornes Polycarb crown boards with the hole, and I'd like to make a neat job of sealing them off - flush both sides (the polycarb is 3mm thick).

Something a touch more 3D complicated - a little jig to help get jar labels on straight - for a hex 12oz jar (one side) and a round 1lb jar (the other side).

A question for you all, what would you make for beekeeping, if you had access to a 3d printer?

I have a 3d printer. I build myself a MENDELMAX last year.

I used to keep stabbing my fingers on the sharp pins on my "crown of thorns" thingy for queen marking. I printed a holder for the crown of thorns - a ring with a little hole for each of the pins. No more spiked fingers!

I am seriously thinking about replacing the lower table with a cylinder that would allow me to print rollers for wax foundation. It would be easy, but time consuming, to do. One day ...

Paul

My printer is my toy. Nothing to do with work.
Thanks for the responses so far, I might design and print some of them.
The replacement for the bee escape would be a real challenge to have it flush on both sides. From my experience the hole is not cut that accurate. I could make one with a small flange on one side.
Crown of thorns guard... Yes... Had trouble today, saw unmarked queen, thorns out of reach them caught fingers. At least her majesty didn't run off to hide.
I like the idea of printing rollers for foundation.
Oh, and aligning labels.. That's a good one. Mine were ok, but not perfect.
If anyone wants anything (that can be printed!).. Let me know and we can discuss.
My current project is a centrifuge - for separating out pollen from honey. I have all the electronics, inc a rev counter, speed controller. I have printed out the rotor. Now need to design and print the case.
What was the comment about printing comb for testing?

An assistant, to inspect during those weeks I am busy/when very hot/Q-/during flow/under attack from wasps...

Seeing the entries in the wax sculpting classes I did suggest a 3d printer could be ideal. Printing in wax might need some development, but printing moulds for candles or wax.components could be a starter.

Printing moulds... I have played around with that, and found for me, I print out the model and then take a mould of it using silicone. I prefer a flexible mould that allows easy removal of the cast.

I was in the process of searching 3d printing and came across this thread. I was wondering if sheets of foundation could be printed as there is now a printer that uses powdered wax melted by a laser to build the image. It would be normally be used to create wax shapes for the lost wax casting method. It might not be long before foundation rollers become beekeeping antiques !

What material can it print (I have no idea about 3d printers!). Is there one that can do high insulatory material because I would just print poly hives.

I was in the process of searching 3d printing and came across this thread. I was wondering if sheets of foundation could be printed as there is now a printer that uses powdered wax melted by a laser to build the image. It would be normally be used to create wax shapes for the lost wax casting method. It might not be long before foundation rollers become beekeeping antiques !
Bees make a natural product with some variation in melting point, a printer is more likely to be calibrated for synthetic wax. Have you seen how long a 3D printer takes to print anything of size? You're competing with rolled wax sold in the region of a quid a sheet. Rollers will remain much faster for the foreseeable future; 3D printing the rollers on the other hand...

I have a 3d printer. I build myself a MENDELMAX last year.

I used to keep stabbing my fingers on the sharp pins on my "crown of thorns" thingy for queen marking. I printed a holder for the crown of thorns - a ring with a little hole for each of the pins. No more spiked fingers!

I am seriously thinking about replacing the lower table with a cylinder that would allow me to print rollers for wax foundation. It would be easy, but time consuming, to do. One day ...

Paul

I use a square bit of polystyrene to keep the 'crown of thorns' pressed into, but boys toys for boys! enjoy.

Latest posts

Back