30lb Plastic buckets

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jimmy

Drone Bee
Beekeeping Sponsor
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
I need some 10litre (~30lb) plastic buckets for my bumper 2022 crop 😀

I could get some at Beetradex (but it's the only purchase planned in the absence of several key suppliers) or through ebay, link here:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/321093758241
The cost is similar with the quantity required but with ebay I don't need to spend 2 hours getting to Stoneleigh and back home.

Any experiences, good or bad, with buckets and couriers? I can easily imagine a stack of buckets getting rough treatment from a courier...

I could get some at Beetradex (but it's the only purchase planned in the absence of several key suppliers) or through ebay, link here:
The cost is similar with the quantity required but with ebay I don't need to spend 2 hours getting to Stoneleigh and back home.

Any experiences, good or bad, with buckets and couriers? I can easily imagine a stack of buckets getting rough treatment from a courier...
The only thing I would say is that I swapped over to square buckets a couple of years ago - much easier to store - take up less space than the equivalent round ones and I find them easier to pour. The company I used to get mine from have stopped selling them which is a pity.

I usually get mine from Paynes, packaged in cardboard boxes and couriered to me - never had a problem

Round me most such buckets are being given away by a confectionary company who can't store all they use and probably also sell fondant. Marked clearly on the base that they are food grade Suggest you look around.

Attachments

• IMG_9325.JPG
    IMG_9325.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 7
Round me most such buckets are being given away by a confectionary company who can't store all they use and probably also sell fondant. Marked clearly on the base that they are food grade Suggest you look around.
I sometimes sell in bulk so new buckets are a must.

Always go for metal handles, a lesson learnt, did not break, but handle stretched almost to breaking when removing bucket from warming cabinet quite a few years ago.
I lift my buckets by fingers under the rim, including the ones with metal handles, when they have runny honey inside them. I've had some metal handles 'pop out' and the thought of 30lbs of warm very runny honey all over the floor fills me with dread.

Being tight I have never bought a bucket. Chat up your sandwich shop/baker/take away, as they have empty food grade buckets to get rid of. For them it is waste and for you it's a saving. I was given 33 last autumn and at my age that is now a lifetimes supply. :) Upcycle!

Being tight I have never bought a bucket. Chat up your sandwich shop/baker/take away, as they have empty food grade buckets to get rid of. For them it is waste and for you it's a saving. I was given 33 last autumn and at my age that is now a lifetimes supply. :) Upcycle!
Exactly what I wrote earlier. :iagree:

I have used recycled 30 lb buckets from food outlets in the past when I started out. For the cost saving verses potential for adulterating the honey, I don't bother anymore. I doubt many beekeepers have access to the technology to determine a suitable cleaning method or potential leachables from prior use in recycled buckets.
I'm all for low cost beekeeping, but there's tight, then there is irresponsible, for the sake of a couple of pounds a bucket. Why would anyone want to put high quality honey into a poor quality container?

And before anyone comments on info below, the EU regulation is still enforceable under UK law as it hasn't been superseded yet.

From Freeman and Hardings website. specifically relates to reuse of glass jars and updates to FSA advice but relevant to reuse of plastic buckets;

The Food Standards Agency and Re-Use of Jars
The Food Standards Agency’s recent declaration about not reusing packaging has caused quite a commotion.

“The legislation with regard to food contact materials will preclude the reuse of glass honey jars for any commercial food use, even following stringent cleaning. A commercial honey producer is legally obliged to ensure their jars are fully compliant with legislation, and have an overriding requirement under the Food Safety Act to ensure the food they provide is safe.

Any packaging used must be compliant with the European regulations (principally Article 3 of Regulation 1935/2004), which sets out the safety criteria for food packaging. Though it can be assumed that originally the jars met these criteria, as they were fit to sell at the retail level, once sold and their constituent food has been consumed, the required chain of documentation which shows they are compliant is broken. Thus it would be impossible to demonstrate to the relevant authorities that the reused jars were compliant, unless the jars were knowingly manufactured to be reused, and within a closed loop distribution system like milk bottles. However, only the courts can decide whether in particular circumstances an offence has been committed.”

However, more recently on the BBC 4 programme "You and Yours" a FSA’s spokesman said that whilst in principal this is true, it does require a degree of common sense. Few materials are safer than glass. Glass is inert, it does not leach chemicals as plastic containers may. The jar filler needs to be sure the jar is not chipped or damaged and is clean.

As all beekeepers know, honey does not allow bacteria to grow. Lids should not be reused for reasons of not only cleanliness but also the seal may deteriorate over time.

Above all, common sense should prevail!

We are not providing guidance or advice, the decision is wholly yours to reuse or to recycle in your nearest bottle bank.

Latest posts

Back