3 Weeks in

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

andyww

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Hi,

Well 3 weeks have passed now and on to my next inspection, previous inspections highlighted some incorrect procedures and a fairly light nuc.

Having taken the advice on board my inspection today showed a marked improvement, appears to be allot more bees, queen is present, plenty of stores. They have even drawn out two frames.

Didn't see any eggs, however that's probably my eyes at fault. Did see quite allot of what look like empty (used) brood cells - I guess these will be cleaned and reused?

Anyway here is what it used to look like:

CIMG2923.jpg

Here is what it looks like 3 weeks on (note it was closed back up.. :) )

CIMG2928.jpg

and one of the queen...

CIMG2932.jpg

It's very tempting to open them up to 'just have a look' ... three weeks is a long time if you have managed to leave them alone for that long. However, a 6mm clear polycarbonate crown board is just a great addition to a new beekeepers kit - you can lift the roof off the hive and just look at the bees on the top of the frames - you can see a great deal looking down from above into the tops of the frames ... not every day but a fascinating treat in between inspections.

Mine have a 6mm rim on them to give bee space above the frames and the fact that you can see where the bees are when you are putting the crown board back on means you don't squash bees.

You would probably have to make them but you can buy polycarbonate offcuts on ebay that are not expensive.

Yeah I’ve been thinking about that, being a bit of a tech I was also considering the practicalities of a 'bee cam' of some form, find watching the bees far more interesting than some of the c**p that’s on TV... - still undecided on that front though

Yeah I’ve been thinking about that, being a bit of a tech I was also considering the practicalities of a 'bee cam' of some form, find watching the bees far more interesting than some of the c**p that’s on TV... - still undecided on that front though

Totally fascinating ... I can watch them for hours ... it will be interesting to see what they come up with next Tuesday in 'Hive Alive' ... hopefully cameras everywhere ...

https://www.flickr.com/photos/99514363@N06/10127766404/in/set-72157634865981506

That is a very small,nuc /swarm indeed. I guess it was free or very cheap. 3 weeks is a full brood cycle so there should of been a lot more bees at you second look. There are guide lines as to what a nuc should be when spending your cash.
I guess the advice previously was to dummy them down as they were lost in that box.
No eggs is a worry as she should of relaid in the emerging cells as they would then have bees to keep them warm. A feeder full of syrup would help them draw the frames quicker.
Good luck

The colony will grow better if you take out all but two unused frames and dummy down and fill the redundant space with insulation. (Anything - even old towel in plastic carrier bag). Less space for them to heat. Easier then for them to draw comb. Probably more beneficial than feeding - at this time of year. That is what O90O is getting at.
Move colony to side of box. Add new frames one either side of brood. Add two more frames at a time, as they are needed.

You can only take the horse to water .....

Yeah, I know. It was also reinforced much later in that thread after some other cavern-keeper pushed in with his inexperienced 'wisdom'.

RAB

Latest posts

Back