3 mile rule - an old wive's tale?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
3 mile rule - old wive's tale?

Decided to do a bit of field research into this question.

Collared the OH.

"Oi! Old Wife! Do you reckon......."

Unfortunately my research was cut short at that point.

I'll get back to you, once she's stopped treating me like a drone.

Dusty

I'm interested in Rockdoc's comment about moving hives in winter. A friend in our lane is doing a beginners course and I will probably be giving her some bees and I had wondered , if we moved them in winter, would they re-locate when they start flying again in the Spring or whether we still need to move them three miles away first?

karen

Block the entrance for two days and then take them to the new site.
Then remove the block and stuff the entrance with dried grass.

The only caveat for this method is that they have enough ventilation......are you on omf?

I'm interested in Rockdoc's comment about moving hives in winter. A friend in our lane is doing a beginners course and I will probably be giving her some bees and I had wondered , if we moved them in winter, would they re-locate when they start flying again in the Spring or whether we still need to move them three miles away first?

When you have a prolonged cold spell and they're not flying you can probably risk moving less than 3 miles but try to avoid disturbing the cluster - put a few bushy branches over the entrance to encourage them to reorientate

Thanks for answers. Yes Richardbees, omf , poly nuc has a mesh panel in floor.

karen - that's fine - just making sure they've got sufficient ventilation.

Latest posts

Back