2nd swarm capture video done

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Had they drawn out all the frames by the time they swarmed / had you added a super? Or are you referring to something else when you say 'overly complacent'?

Added a super (just foundation) when they were on about 8 frames, but they didn't seem keen on going up. Moved a couple of frames up to encourage them and they seemed to get going then and started drawing it all out. I say complacent as I think left them alone for just over a week after, only peaking through the clear crownboard to see how much they had drawn out, just assuming all was well below as they still had lots to draw so didn't go right through every frame. Little did I know they'd made 4 queen cells in the bottom box and promptly swarmed (I did get the swarm back at least). What do you think, too slow getting a super on?

In fact have just been through them again this afternoon and knocked down another 11 queen cells, both on the bottom and on the face of the comb. Suspect they may in fact be queenless, making quite a hum, some capped brood but could not see any eggs or larvae anywhere.

My plan was to check again in 5 days, and see if there are any more queen cells, and keep knocking them down until they produce no more. If there are still no eggs/larvae at that stage, add a frame of eggs from another preferred colony?

Unless they still have an unmated virgin running around in there? It was only 10 days ago they swarmed.

Thanks

If you're interested in seeing a swarm filing into a bait hive then here's what happened with our second catch last month. Unlike the first one, this swarm was so easy. They turned up with a plan and just got on with it. Still can't work out how to embed a video...so just a link again....

2nd swarm video

Someone who has watched the video has just pointed out to me that you can see the queen at 3:39 entering from bottom left edge of wood shelf and entering the hive at 3:43. Amazing. I'd assumed she's already be in the hive as the colony was happily entering.
I think that was a drone entering at 3.43

I think that was a drone entering at 3.43

That's what I said at first too. Here are 2 frames from the video at the timestamp mentioned - that really looks like the queen to me, the elongated shape, length and much slimmer than a drone. Do you not think so?

queen3b.pngqueen2b.png

What’s the rush? I’ve been advised by others on here to leave them well alone for a week and even then just have a sneak peak for eggs...

It's not about rush, it about knowing if they have stores or not starvation can occur very quickly if they have no stores. Within 3 days of no stores they all will be lying on the floor.
If the couple of litres is used purely to draw comb as little is incoming from forage then one should ideally continue with light feeding but to know this a view of what is occurring inside is needed to make a decision. A minutes look inside is enough to tell you if any cells contain liquid or not. It will depend on how busy the entrance is with foraging bees, something a new beek may not be able to judge without a little more experience .

It's not about rush, it about knowing if they have stores or not starvation can occur very quickly if they have no stores. Within 3 days of no stores they all will be lying on the floor.
If the couple of litres is used purely to draw comb as little is incoming from forage then one should ideally continue with light feeding but to know this a view of what is occurring inside is needed to make a decision. A minutes look inside is enough to tell you if any cells contain liquid or not. It will depend on how busy the entrance is with foraging bees, something a new beek may not be able to judge without a little more experience .

Well you’ve got me worried now. I don’t really want to open them up over the weekend as they’re in a woodland with public access and it will be busier over the weekend. Maybe I should give them another litre of 1:1 to tide them over until Monday? They’ve got a full bb to go at so presumably won’t be able to clog up the whole thing?

Have you viewed the coming and goings from the entrance, if the bees are busy flying then they will have probably found a forage source.

Latest posts

Back