2nd super

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
i have 2 hives with there supers 3/4 full do i put the 2nd super on top of the old one or under it on top of the BB(never needed more than one before)

thanks

I put the supers under the old ones. I remember your situation well and must have looked in five or six books looking for the answer - never found!

There are two schools of thought - either way works so it's up to you. Convention is the new one on top of the old one, I've tried both ways - the bees still filled them. (cue Finsky with another rant about two hive owners!!)

Indeed they seem to.

As a relative newbie, I prefer to put the empty super on top with a polycarbonate crown board.

I get great pleasure from seeing the gradual development of drawing out the comb, filling it then slowly capping. It also helps reduce my anxiety about when I need to think about adding another super.

And that in turn helps reduce the newbie desire to open up the hive too often!

Having said that, when I was on holiday, my mentor changed it all round. The bees just sighed and got on with it.

Dusty

thanks Dusty i think it ail put them on top as you say it is nice to see how they are getting on with out disturbing

Convention is the new one on top of the old one,QUOTE

Funny, I thought convention was old on top of new. I prefer this way as it is much easier to see when it is capped and ready for extraction and less faffing about to get it off.
Cazza

Convention is the new one on top of the old one,QUOTE

Funny, I thought convention was old on top of new. I prefer this way as it is much easier to see when it is capped and ready for extraction and less faffing about to get it off.
Cazza

Question is not at all, how easy it is put the box onto hive or how easy it is to see.
Question is about bees' instincts how they tend to use their hive and how they feel there that they do not start to swarm. never heard???

If you want 100 kg honey from hive, you should first learn nurse bees, and after that think, is it possible to make easier.

Of course it goes that way. I normally have 5-6 supers.
1-2 are under capping work. 3-4 have rippening nectar.

You must extract in order the boxes and then return to the hive.
Why the boxes should be in controversy order? What is the idea?

Hive owner has 2 supers, then he thinks, do I mind lift that previous box off and this under it Meanwhile he thinks, I take 5 supers off, and put a new box under the previous box.

Wau!!!

The bees must feel that their hive is not full of honey. That feeling does not come from system that there are brood and then above capped honey???

Ok, they swarm and that is the end of honey yield. It works.

Last edited:
I just add supers on top, if you have a number of hives with three or four supers on already you would have a strained back or worse before going to the next apiary, plus look at the time and disruption.

Finman - Why? Please explain as I am really interested even though unlikely to get anywhere near adding another super this year.

Latest posts

Back