2nd hive entrance for supers?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skydragon

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
I've read that having a 2nd hive entrance at the super(s) can be advantageous, as the nectar gathering worker bees don't have to go through the main entrance/BB/QE every time to get to/from the supers.

Question - is this correct and actually how/where do you provide such a 2nd entrance?

its a bad idea in my eyes, as it promotes robbing from other bees and wasps.i lost half a super over night from a leaking roof

Hi Skydragon,
I think this is predominantly an American idea. Whether it's because they tend to use larger hives than those over here I don't know but I would stick with Thurrock bees and stick with the more traditional way. That way the guard bees have something to work with.

I wonder if the Americans have a problem with robbing as much as we do,Its just that there are loads of pics/video's on the net of american beekeepers leaving syrup out in front of rows of hives for a free for all.

I'm sure they do Admin. I think it's cultural thing, as you know they have very different ideas about beekeeping to those in Blighty. Drifting and robbing don't seem to be as important to them as we believe they are but then their yields don't seem as good either.

their yields don't seem as good either.

Not sure about the US yields. Another can of worms mixed in with statistics!

Pollination hives do not collect a honey yield. And there are thousand upon thousand of migratory pollination hives.

When you see a video of fifty or more hives all at one spot - no wonder there is not enough forage to go round.

Their climate can be vastly different to ours. Bone dry, through to alaskan cold.

Disease is tolerated rather than eradicated.

Equipment is sooo cheap compared to the UK.

So, yes the fact is probably correct but the comparison is not so very appropriate. I am sure there are areas where local beeks can far exceed our typical yields.

Regards, RAB

The hives I'm building this year will all have entrances in all the supers..............so I'll let you know.................

Yours Roy

I am not sure I care for American standards anyway - many times they disrespect their livestock. :patriot::toetap05:

First of all is it a good idea to have a 2nd entrance for the supers.

I think not. Our bees seem to prefer to arrive in the brood nest and let the house bees take over from there. It enables the colony to judge how conditions are and how to best manage their resources.

I have yet to see a cross over from American ideas to the UK. Primarily because of climate. Theirs is continental and ours is maritime and believe me there is a huge difference.

On the suryp front I will say this and I am not entering a debate on it.

If you feed syrup in an outside feeder, and also feed the colonies there is no robbing.

Why?

Because if there is free syrup available why fight your way into a weaker colony to rob? There is just no point.

I used to feed 50+ colonies this way and have yet to see robbing occur for the above reason. However when the bees are flying there has to be the syrup available for them to take. They shifted just as a matter of interest some 5 gallons a day from the outside feeder.

PH

I think this video is worth linking to show how easy it is to cause robbing and unwanted visitors.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UfCavoM7SF8

***Sorry amended the above, I completely forgot to add it as I was linking the movie***

Last edited:
Dont do it - keep your bee keeping as simple as possible.

The hives I'm building this year will all have entrances in all the supers..............so I'll let you know.................

Yours Roy

Will this not cause the Bees to end up storing their pollen supplies in the supers rather than in the main 'Nest' ?

SD I sense the consensus is no, but if you want to try it I have a canadian double escape with openable entrance/escape blocks. Rental is £5 a week plua a coolant pipework parts list ..... HINT!

I have used upper entrances in every box 45 years. I like them. But I do not use them all open at same time.

When I change boxes and bees have customed to fly in one point, the new box should have too the hole in onld place.

No harm, what you have written does not exist.

* The upper hole has nothing to do with robbing.

* Bees store pollen next to brood.

Last edited:
In the pic I have splitted my biggest hive to move it to out pastures.
You see small holes in boxes. Brood boxes are poly.

Kuva_033.jpg

Latest posts

Back