2nd Entrance

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Busy Bee

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Hi All,

I have came across a bee hive recently which has 2 entrances.

1 in the brood box (normal place), 2nd is in the super. I was not able to get an explanation for this. Does anyone know why a bee keeper would put a 2nd entrance in the super?

he is not a beginner, he has kepts bee for decades.

Ummmm

Busy Bee

It's a method of reducing congestion in the extracting supers during heavy flows; imagine all the ladies having to scramble through the brood box to get there.

Try googling Georg Imirie, I think he was a proponent of the method, and invented the Imirie shim - interesting reading!

Like all methods it has it's supporters, and detractors.

John

http://www.tnbeekeepers.org/learning.htm

HOWEVER: interesting as they may be they were written for a totally different climate to ours.

Upper entrances are not unusual in the hotter American states. However they do mean another area to defend.

PH

Last edited:
Nice link PH,there is a few evenings of reading on the links down the right hand side of the webpage.

Aye there are but remember the location.

Blow here. I read all the back copies of the ABJ and Gleanings from 1948 I think it was through to 1990.

I had an operation and came round. I picked up Gleanings and did the quiz scoring my best ever, and no I am not saying save to say it was high. ;)

I am very well aware of how the Americans and Canadians work and how their bees perform and believe me or not they are NOTHING like ours.

Climate.

PH

I thought it was only Finland that had a different climate.

Latest posts

Back