2nd best time of day for cut out please

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

justme

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Other
Number of Hives
10(OSB hives)1 National
Hi all,
I've been asked to do a (small) cut out tomorrow. A swarm moved into a chalet about 3 weeks ago, assumimg a virgin queen at this time of the year. Maybe some brood?

I am unable to attend in the evening, morning to mid afternoon available.
It is further away than I would normally go and need to do it all in one day.

I'm putting together a box with porter bee escapes at front and rear of box, intending to place over entrance to hopefully allow foragers back in but to stop any going out other than into box.

Is there any thing else I can or need to do to collect even more foragers or can I just leave the others to 'perish'?

And question as above, as I cannot go in the evening what is the next best time to go? (Hopefully not before light though as I'd need to leave before I go to bed;.)

Thanks, Di

Hi Di, Ive got a similar situation hoping to go and collect tonight from an owl box in side of barn conversion, I had been hoping to collect it on Monday evening, but as you no doubt know it was sooo wet that it just didnt make sense! I work earlies on the farm where holiday home is and when I looked out at 5.30 am they were not flying so early but by no meens a dark start! Hoping it might be dry tonight and then I am going up on their matbro to open up the owl box! first time I have done it and am hoping the same as you that it is a virgin queen and not yet laying! they have been there 5 days now, just no suitable time until now to remove as attending courses in Bristol.

All the best with getting as many as you can!

Thanks milkermel:.)
Still hoping for an answer about a good time to go but if not it may be eeeearlyyyy.

cheersiz, Di:.)

Is there any thing else I can or need to do to collect even more foragers or can I just leave the others to 'perish'?

Can you set it up one day with a few frames, and collect the following day?

Hi all,
I am unable to attend in the evening, morning to mid afternoon available.
It is further away than I would normally go and need to do it all in one day.

Thanks, Di

As above:.)

Thanks milkermel:.)
Still hoping for an answer about a good time to go but if not it may be eeeearlyyyy.

cheersiz, Di:.)

5.30 not early!!! have done my first 50 cows by then!! lol. If I dont have any luck tonight thats what I am up to tomorrow!! Out of interest what bit of Cornwall?

Out of interest what bit of Cornwall?[/QUOTE]

Just about slap bang in the middle:.) Believe we met briefly at Bodmin bka a few weeks ago:.)

5.30 not early!!! have done my first 50 cows by then!! lol. If I dont have any luck tonight thats what I am up to tomorrow!! Out of interest what bit of Cornwall/QUOTE]

I know 5.30 isn't early really, I used to have to be up before 3 to start work at 4 or before but that was a loooong time ago:.) Only do if good reason now:.)

Latest posts

Back