28 days between inspections, can it be done?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jimbeekeeper

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Hi

Ok, I may be off back on the rigs/overseas on 28 days on 28 off, therfore along with all the family things to consider, my bees must be considered!

So Given the key time frame for the bees is (in my Northern area) May - August, of this 4 month period I could be away for 2 of them.

Do people think a 28 days with out an inspection is possible?

I mark and clip queens, and would also consider adding an extra brood box and super.

Any thoughts?

Try Ivor Currys' method of swarm control, he reckons you can holiday for 6 weeks. no worries.

John

Got a link John as all I can find thinks that the essence of it is known. New one to me by the way!

PH

Got a link John as all I can find thinks that the essence of it is known. New one to me by the way!

PH

Hi Pete, I have an A4 sheet (a hand out off Ivor ), I'll dig it out and post a copy .
John

Thanks as there is nothing online that I can find, not even on d. cushman!

PH

Well done on the new job.

My course tutor on the intermediate went to Oz for 4 weeks 2 years ago. She did an inspection before she went and whacked three supers on all her hives. She said the bees did great and she had a bumper honey crop on her return and the same marked queens. Good luck anyway.

Problem is consistency here.

When I worked offshore I was away either 14 days or 21, and my then wife did the business. However this is another situation all together.

What is the priority here? Not losing a swarm or more than likely losing some honey take?

If it is the swarm then popping the queens into a One frame nuc is one option and leave the parent stock to re-queen. On your non swarm time rotation then three or four sups would answer I think.

PH

Well done on the new job.

Thanks for the vote of confidence, but I have not yet got it! I am just planning ahead.

I think many beekeepers should be sent away for 28 days at a time, it will stop them fiddeling with their hives and causing more probelms.

Thanks as there is nothing online that I can find, not even on d. cushman!

PH

Hi PolyHive, I have found some very interesting links to the Curry Method, on the Blackburn BKA website. The Curry method is listed seperately, but is also mentioned in other monthly journals, i.e. September 2005, December 2006 and I am sure others. See ...

http://www.blackburnbeekeepers.com/resources.html

Jim, I too hope you enjoy your new job :cheers2:

Many thanks FenBee.

Will bone up in the morning, meanwhile am off to bed.

PH

Last edited:
Have been doing this for years,but you can certainly can lose a swarm from the bottom box,if not doing regular inspections,and thats a fact,its just an artificial swarm under one roof. Also you can just break down any cells in top box and introduce a new queen easily to the young bee's,you can keep some cells in the top box on different frames and divide into nuc's.you can divide top into nuc's using grafted cells,you can just requeen with grafted cell,you can easily introduce virgin to top box,or you can let no queen be put in or develope in the top box,just keep rotating them,and treat top box for varroa mid season,ect ect.

Last edited:
hivemaker
bliming heck you make it sound like giving kids sweets and more sweets taking um away and giving more sweets when you going to give um a kick up the ass and a clip round the ear!! for messing around.
all the best mike

That was comming next Mike,then the clip round the wings,and put em in a box and send them up for you, haha.

Latest posts

Back