2010 Beginner Courses

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nick W

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
2 Hives
Hi

Any idea if the list has been done yet, or if not, how far away from being published it is?

Cheers

Nick

Nick I am not sure if its worth doing the list for 2010.
Most of the replies I got said courses were already full by Autumn 2009!

Thornes also run a list on their website. but I have not checked if they have a list for 2010 yet.

I realise that it's not trivial to assemble the list, but I noticed that a newcomer to our local BKA yesterday was offered a place on our spring course, which had officially been full for some months, simply because some of the early applicants have dropped out or aren't responding to messages.

So I suspect that just as the application rate was high following all the publicity about bees, so the dropout rate will be high too. On that basis it might still be worth publishing the details.

I hope you will Admin as I am considering running one here. :)

PH

I will see what I can put together.
The main problem I had was most course's are run by local BKA's affiliated to the BBKA and some of the more polite replies I had was "Whats it got to do with you" I won't print some of the other impolite replies,I think our success has rattled a few cages..

have just heard from a prospective beekeeper that Plumpton’s £250, in East Sussex a 10week course starting this week, has been cancelled due to lack of interest!

Nick,
our branch are running an evening course at Bromsgrove school starting at end of Jan I believe. I'm not the organizer so I don't have all the details to hand but I think it's 8 evenings followed by 2 apiary sessions in April, costing around £50. If you're interested send me some contact details and I'll pass them on, but if you've already joined the Kiddy branch you might receive all info. anyway.

Admin,
there are a significant number of non-BKA courses also available. It would be a feather in your cap to list those at least. I know of at least 2 in Worcestershire, one at Pershore college, and another very good semi-professional one. Hartpury college is Glos. also run courses.
I'm involved in a series of non-BKA weekend courses myself (Leicestershire/Warwickshire/Shropshire) with other beekeepers. I'll be happy to provide details if you like, or to anyone sending a PM. But Googling "beekeeping courses" will have us somewhere on the top half of the page.
Training is a hot topic at the moment and recent bee problems coupled with a surge in interest has exposed frailties with some BKA's and they just can't cope. I'm not surprised you've had a hostile response from some feeling a bit threatened. Many have 2011 waiting lists but I don't think they suggest alternatives to people - perhaps it's a territorial thing?

Chris

I too would be happy to list my course starting in late January 2010. It ia advertised on the BBKA and Beecraft websites. A few spaces left. This course is in Kent. PM me if you are intersted
Regards Mike

Barnet & District course is full, next one will open to new members at AGM in Nov 2010, 3mth course 2hrs every saturday afternoon plus 2 mth of saturaday :cheers2: apiary visits

to be sure of a place you need to attend the AGM after getting an invite from seceratary ( ie if you show up you get a place, if you don't show up you have to be recommneded)

Latest posts

Back