2009 set to be one of warmest on record.

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BKF Admin

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
NEXT year is set to be one of the five warmest on record, climate scientists predicted today.

The average global temperature for 2009 is expected to be more than 0.4C above the long term average, making next year warmer than this year and the hottest since 2005, the Met Office and University of East Anglia researchers said.

Next year is expected to be in the top five warmest on record despite the cooling influence of the Pacific weather phenomenon known as La Nina, in which cold waters rise to the surface and cool ocean and land temperatures.

The Met Office also predicted a rapid return to long-term warming for global temperatures and an increased probability of record temperatures after 2009.

Currently the warmest year on record is 1998, which was dominated by the warming influence of an extreme El Nino and saw average temperatures of 14.52C - well above the 1961-1990 long-term average of 14C.

Prof Chris Folland from the Met Office Hadley Centre said: ''Phenomena such as El Nino and La Nina have a significant influence on global surface temperature.

''Warmer conditions in 2009 are expected because the strong cooling influence of the recent powerful La Nina has given way to a weaker La Nina.

''Further warming to record levels is likely once a moderate El Nino develops.''

And Prof Phil Jones, director of the climate research unit at the University of East Anglia, said: ''The fact that 2009, like 2008, will not break records does not mean that global warming has gone away.

''What matters is the underlying rate of warming - the period 2001-2007, with an average of 14.44C, was 0.21C warmer than corresponding values for the period 1991-2000.''

Is that warm and dry or warm and wet (moist) and just cloudy i.e typical English summer?

We have booked or 2009 holiday (well its the same place as normal our time share)

But also 2010 easter cruise is also booked.

I like to plan ahead.

What do you think warmer means for our bees then? Warmer is OK, but drier probabaly wouldn't be.

If so called "experts" are anything to go by, it will be the coldsest and wettest year:spam:

I think you are right Jim,if they said 3 months of snow in the summer I would be happy ;)

Has anyone got a year list for Honey crops over the last 10 years?

So why do I have to scrape so much "global warming" off the windscreen of the van each Winters' morning?
Sameagle [John]

So why do I have to scrape so much "global warming" off the windscreen of the van each Winters' morning?
Sameagle [John]

Hi Sam welcome to the forum,someone should be along soon that is able to answer that for you,its something to do with an ice age etc ?

Back