2009 Plans

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Good idea Finman,i like the local uk bit as well. but think i prefer it where i am. Queen mating will become no problem,even in bad weather. And different strains of bee.

Last edited:
There are five hive on my local allotments and good luck to them.

I would myself not do it for these reasons.

Insurance.

Getting a bad name.

Insurance.

I had the unfortunate experience this year of a colony going what I can only describe as beserk. It cost me a lot of money to resolve, and having a sobbing neighbour in your shower is not a fun experience.

I have never been that keen on having bees in the garden and let myself be swayed by the unarguable joy of seeing them every day and observing them.

However never ever again.

I think I got of lightly, my partner got in her words badly stung, some thirty hits, and as she reacts badly she was in a mess as well. I took a couple of hundred stings and moved them that night. They were the nastiest bees I have ever encountered and smoke made not a whit of odds to them.

Think carefully about your insurance position as people WILL sue these days so if you are determined to have bees in public make sure you are WELL covered and that your insurance company know what you are doing so they cannot turn round at the crunch point and say nope you are on your own.

Remember bees can and do kill. Not a happy thought I know but none the less it is a fact.

Been trying to to tell people for years that its not a good idea to have bee's in gardens when you have neighbours,or any where public.

i keep my swarms in my garden,its got high hedges.
i find with swarms they are usually not too agressive,i have 6 there at the moment for overwintering,in the spring i will move (full size colonys) out to my other apiarys.
i would not have full size colonys near neighbours.
if you can, you should have bolt holes for any colonys that start getting a
bit fiesty.
next year i would like to be a better beekeeper.
iombeeman
:xmas-smiley-010:

Hi Poly hive,
Your comments and knowledge can only benefit this forum, and benefit all of us new to beekeeping, well ......nearly new.

Regards;

I keep my 2 hives in my garden.
I have netting around them to make them fly Hi.
I do have a railway at the end of my garden.
So only have neighbors ether side of me and one neighbors did not know I had bees for over a year.

Latest posts

Back