2 virgin queens in same hive

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Woodland bees

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
One of my hives was last inspected about 3 weeks ago (weather has been poor and very windy since). All was well with a laying queen and I put the first super on.

Today there were several broken down or open Q cells. I could not find the original Q (who was about 23 months old). I did find two small Qs on separate frames, so I assume newly hatched virgins.

Questions is do I need to do anything? Will the two Qs sort each other out and one mate or will one try and swarm?

I'm puzzled as to what's happened to the old Q as she wasn't too old and there is uncapped brood in the hive. It is unlikely she has swarmed as there hive was full of workers and I've not noticed a swarm (hive is in garden and I'm out there most days).

I have other colonies so I can afford to wait for this hive to sort itself out.

Just went through the hive quickly (it's not ideal weather at the moment).

There's a few frames of eggs and brood, so the colony is doing ok.

There appears to be just 1 Q, the orangier one. She is small, can anyone advise is she likely to get bigger or is this a sign she hasn't mated that well?

Still curious to know what happened to the old Q.

size means nothing at all. No, she probably won't get bigger. She is what she is and as she is laying away what's the problem?

Huge queens can be totally useless and skinny ones that can slide through queen excluders can be very good indeed.

PH

Size isn't a problem, I'm curious if she's mated well as she would have mated when we didn't have many drones flying. I'll see how she goes.

Latest posts

Back