2 supercedure cells

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Black Comb

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Other
Number of Hives
10+
I've built up to double brood with the aim of splitting and the've made 2 supercedure cells in one of the boxes, albeit a bit earlier than I expected. These are both now sealed and the plan was to separate them into 2 nucs before they hatch. However, although there seemed to be plenty of nurse bees when I moved the box a quick look today revealed not that many so I shall stay with one box.

Do I destroy one of the cells or let the bees sort out which is the best queen?

I've built up to double brood with the aim of splitting and the've made 2 supercedure cells in one of the boxes, albeit a bit earlier than I expected. These are both now sealed and the plan was to separate them into 2 nucs before they hatch. However, although there seemed to be plenty of nurse bees when I moved the box a quick look today revealed not that many so I shall stay with one box.

Do I destroy one of the cells or let the bees sort out which is the best queen?

have the forager bee returned to the other brood box?, could you shake more bees in from there?j

Difficult to say from afar,..but I'd be tempted to splitt and possibly boost with a frame of hatching brood from your other hive. Double your chances . If you going to keep the bees in one box I'd definately leave both cells for the bees (or first virgin) to sort out, one of them could be duff

Last edited:
Yes I can shake more bees in but I wondered if they'd fight after 2 - 3 days apart.

They are on the same apiary about 6 feet apart.

I advised a frame of hatching brood but if you want to shake bees shake the older bees off into their original hive first then give a firmer jarr to get the young bees where you want them

Or icing suger dusting for all concerned in the rearrangement?

Missing something here.

Two colonies (at least one on double brood) and you cannot make a couple of nucs just before these cells hatch? OK, so not the strongest of colonies or the best time to be splitting perhaps (from a honey crop point of view), but there should be enough brood to go round. It is early, and there is time for all to make some crop if they are a success.

Regards, RAB

Thanks for the replies.

I'll shake some bees in and split.

Well went down today to shake in more bees and split.
Not many bees there at all - 2 frames of brood completely uncovered.
Shook in more bees and split as planned - suppose the uncovered brood will die - should I take it out?

Also main hive now going crazy - 1 queen cell and no sign of queen or eggs. Decided to leave it alone and see what happens.

Latest posts

Back