2-storey Poly Lang

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Firegazer

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Langstroth
Number of Hives
OK, I need advice (as usual).

I currently have a growing colony in a single poly brood box. They will probably run out of room in the next 2 - 3 weeks.

After last winter, my sole aim with this colony is survival, so I'd like to let them build up stores, and keep them for the winter.

It would seem logical, in a sort of Warré way, to add the empty box of frames under the current box so the colony can grow downwards and end up with broodnest on all new comb at the bottom and stores above in the current box.

Is this sensible and workable?

How do you inspect double brood box configurations? Lump the top box off onto a spare floor and go through it with a crownboard on the bottom one? Will a full-depth Langstroth poly BB full of honey be impossible to lift without a crane?

What do you think?

FG

In summer the second box is better to put over the first brood box to avoid swarming.
You may put at once a box under the brood box if its all frames are occupyed.
When you put the third box, chance the order of broodboxes

Finman,
I'm not sure I understand properly.

You say put the new box, with empty frames or undrawn foundation on top of the current (nearly full) box rather than the other way around?

You then say you CAN put it underneath the current one if the frames are all occupied. Do you mean put it underneath once the brood box is totally full of bees, but put it on top if there's still currently some room left?

And, will a full Lang broodbox of honey be too heavy for a weedy amateur to lift safely?

FG

A full brood box and I mean full can be near 100lb.

I had one I had a hell of a job to get back from the heather. The floor leaked so I had to leave it and get a new one and then put it on the floor and then go back for it again the next night. It was one heavy box I assure you.

PH

I agree; Incrementally, frame at a time,. the point is well taken. Best to have a spare box handy, as it's a small expense to save your back.

We are ony in the middle of June. If the box is nearly full, I would be contemplating doubling my queens/colonies, as there is plenty of time, yet, to build up a strong colony for overwintering; have alternatives if there were problems later in the season; retain the option to re-unite in the autumn if considered necessary; and possibly other benefits.

Beekeeping is sooo much easier with multiple colonies. You only need a laying queen and the loss of harvest could be minimal. You should still get some surplus from a strong colony (at this time of the year).

Regards, RAB

I have nursed double brood langstroths 45 years and i have used lang boxes as supers all the time.
Everyone shoud know themselves what they are able to do.

full poly langstroth cannot weigt 100 lbs.
Box is 2lbs, one frame may have 5 lbs honey.

Fire, broodbox is not heavy.
If one box is very full, put the new box over.
Very full means that bees swell out from entrance.
Sometimes i add 2 boxes at same time, one under and one over.

I agree with your figures.

I was amazed, in a very badly surprised way that this box was so heavy. My only guess was that they had magnetised honey.

It was astonishingly heavy and I was at the time bloody fit.

*shrug*

PH

I weighed last summer full honey boxes.
Polybox is the most frienly to the back bone.

Finman,
I'm not sure I understand properly.

You then say you CAN put it underneath the current one if the frames are all occupied.

FG
Sorry Fire, in Finnish language we use mostly one verb in different meaning when you use can, may, be able and be willing. I do not forget allways and i use wrog word and it sounds odd.

Finman,
thanks for the advice.

The box isn't full yet, so I'll order another one and see where I am when it arrives.

I've been to the gym today :) so I'll soon be strong enough to lift full brood boxes.

Your English is very good most of the time; I didn't want to miss what you meant on this as you've had lots of experience with poly brood boxes.

Thanks again for the advice (all).

FG

When 2 boxes are full of brood the colony takes care itself. You take care of adding more boxes. Whe the hive has about 4 boxes, it is able to good foraging.

after filling with brood 2 boxes the colony is ready to swarm too. It depends how eager it is to do that geneticaly.

Normal hive needs 4-6 boxes in summer. Then you need 2 extra boxes for doing false swarm or inhabit swarms over all.
I recommend to use medium boxes for honey.
For summer use honey boxes need not to be poly. UK frame price is terrible.
with 100 pound table saw you may do them yor self, and many other things.

After last winter, my sole aim with this colony is survival, so I'd like to let them build up stores, and keep them for the winter?

What do you think?

FG
now i noticed this. Your beekeeping makes no sence if you only collect stores for next winter. Your double brood will be full of honey, colony swarms and the hive has no space to raise winterbees.

Back