2 questions please.

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RidingMullah

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
I have brood & half. I am now thinking for splitting it to gain additional colony. Can I split half and place on new deep brood box without queen & when is best to do it? I was thinking like October or end of January.

I'm in london and I have super with some frames still not capped, should I wait and let them cap, is there still time? This is the second super that I intend to take for myself.

No. October is far too late. Keep the colony as one colony as strong as possible to get through the Winter.
Re the super, wait to see if it is capped; if it isn’t let the bees have the honey as food for the Winter.

Agree. You risk losing both over winter. If you are a beginner by far the best thing is to wait till the bees decide to split themselves and do an artificial swarm in late spring next year

As above. A couple of good books might help point you in the right direction. I presume you are u k based!
E

Then whatever you do, don't split when you suggested. Late spring is good!

And don't even open them up in January except to give them fondant If the stores are low. Learn how to heft or weigh the hive to assess this.

Latest posts

Back