2 queens after requeen

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HEver

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
2 WBC
Hi all,
I have just requested (after a drone laying queen) and she got introduced very well - no problems. However, after a couple of weeks, I did an inspection and found two queens!! I am just wondering my best route to take from here:
1. Kill the new young queen, leaving the old mother.
2. Kill the old mother, leaving the young new queen. It is a Buckfast and k have heard F2 can be quite aggressive so would prefer 1 if both 1 and 2 are good.
3. I have another hive which needs requeening (and I have an induction cage) so could I move one queen to the other hive.

Also, if there is anything else which I could/should do then please do let me know.

As always, thanks so much in advanced not worthy

I am a bit confused. The second queen can't be the daughter of the drone layer or the bought queen in two weeks! Can you expand a bit?
Thanks

I am a bit confused. The second queen can't be the daughter of the drone layer or the bought queen in two weeks! Can you expand a bit?
Thanks
Unless the drone layer was the old queen and she got superseded but then why didn’t the bees kill the replacement?

Thanks
Sorry, yes. I was too vague.
I introduced the queen, a week later I released her from the cage then left for 2 weeks. In the next inspection I found queen cells which I proceeded to destroy (instructed to do so) but I must have missed one (silly me!!!). I then went in after 10 days - nothing strange seen. A week after that I did an inspection and found the 2 queens.

I would just like to point out that before the introduction of the new queen, there must not have been any workers payed for about 10 days. The drone laying queen could not have layed any eggs which became the new queen.

Unless the drone layer was the old queen and she got superseded but then why didn’t the bees kill the replacement?
Also, I killed the drone laying queen so it can’t be her also.

I can only think as soon as you killed the drone layer and introduced the new queen they decided to supersede her, maybe as a response to the drone-layer, and ended up with both queens.
If you need to requeen another hive I'd use either of them to do that. How is another question - you could split 1 into a nuc and then unite with the queenless hive, or cage and introduce just the queen.

Sorry, yes. I was too vague.
I introduced the queen, a week later I released her from the cage then left for 2 weeks. In the next inspection I found queen cells which I proceeded to destroy (instructed to do so) but I must have missed one (silly me!!!). I then went in after 10 days - nothing strange seen. A week after that I did an inspection and found the 2 queens.

I would just like to point out that before the introduction of the new queen, there must not have been any workers payed for about 10 days. The drone laying queen could not have layed any eggs which became the new queen.
Ah! That helps. Sutty is right. I would leave them too it. Nothing wrong with two queens and eventually one will get to be boss and the other one evicted or killed.

Hi all,
I have just requested (after a drone laying queen) and she got introduced very well - no problems. However, after a couple of weeks, I did an inspection and found two queens!! I am just wondering my best route to take from here:
1. Kill the new young queen, leaving the old mother.
2. Kill the old mother, leaving the young new queen. It is a Buckfast and k have heard F2 can be quite aggressive so would prefer 1 if both 1 and 2 are good.
3. I have another hive which needs requeening (and I have an induction cage) so could I move one queen to the other hive.

Also, if there is anything else which I could/should do then please do let me know.

As always, thanks so much in advanced not worthy

I assume the introduced queen is marked, so you definitely know it's her. As for the other queen, is she laying yet?
If you have need of a queen, then I would consider using one of them (introduced one) as I would be surprised if two remain in the hive for too long.

Latest posts

Back