2 HIVE FOLDING STAND

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
😱😱
BTO have woodcock down as of conservation concern
It is nowadays - haven't shot one for many years, however, you have to look at what they are specifically saying. our native woodcock in the UK migrate South in the winter, they struggle because of loss of spring nesting habitat in this country, the ones we see here during the winter are ones that come here in their thousands from Scandinavia and the Russian steppes.
By the time they reach here they are exhausted and just land on the beaches in Norfolk where you can just walk up to them and pick them up. I remember during a rummage of a Polish timber ship once, a colleague calling me over to identify a bird he'd found. it was a woodcock who had obviously dropped dead on the deck during the sea crossing.
I remember reading a letter sent to the times years ago - a Commander of a Naval patrol vessel in the North sea witnessed a large flock of woocock who, exhausted due to a change in wind direction just dropped into the sea around his vessel.

I just chop up 100mm sq fence posts and build a stand Jenga-style (see avatar). No fasteners at all. Should last a long time, as the posts are pressure-treated.

Rhere
Partly due probably with the new trend of wood burning stoves and the 'upcycling' movement - the art of taking old unwanted tat and turning it into twee 'shabby chic' tat painted in retro chalk paint.
There's nowt wrong with shabby sheak... My hole down stairs bathroom is made out of pallets. But not painted in **** watery white paint but sanded down and sealed.
Swimbo said she wanted the kitchen like it next:hairpull:.

I'm not as fancy, no cutting down as one hive per big pallet can be split when inspecting and the boxes are kept of the floor,

I don't mind the cutting because our pallets are part of the hive itself, not something separate. The first photo wasn't the clearest (what with the pheasant hogging the limelight) and is actually an old standard floor that's been converted. Our new floors, made as needed, are slightly different.IMG_20201126_143705.jpg

Dave, if you want some pallets when things have calmed down as I said we have loads in the yard your welcome to them for free..
I could even meet you somewhere??
You have my number etc.
I can see a forum swap meet on the horizon when we get past the Covid Pandemonium

pallets from a motor oil company - size of four barrels.
These are the best to fit four Nationals because they're 1200x1200, rather than the standard 1200x1000 (which still do the job).

The blue Europallets are very strong but these days homeless ones are snapped up. If I see one when driving it goes straight on the roof; learned not to leave it until the return journey...

I don't mind the cutting because our pallets are part of the hive itself, not something separate. The first photo wasn't the clearest (what with the pheasant hogging the limelight) and is actually an old standard floor that's been converted. Our new floors, made as needed, are slightly different.View attachment 23149
That's really cool! are they still omf floors.. You can't quite see the entrance.
I suppose you could make UFEs with them?

That's really cool! are they still omf floors.. You can't quite see the entrance.
I suppose you could make UFEs with them?
That one is mesh -because we had a cheap deal on a batch so used it but most floors are solid. Never had any interest at all in mesh floors.

Edit: UFEs? No idea what they are.

Because I am dyslexic...and not very good at acronyms!
Because I am dyslexic...and not very good at acronyms!
I don't even know what acronyms means... If you asked me to spell it.
It would be akronumiz..
I'll have to look that one up.... Done abreveations
I turned my predictive txt off for a mo.. Night night!! Can't wait for the emojis to load so smiles my friend.

I’m more of a stand man than pallet man for permanent sites - makes it a lot more comfortable to work the bees (& I don’t suffer any issues of disturbing the other hive/hives on the stand). Stands are sited on 2ft square council slabs for stability & protection from damp. 2.4m in length so during swarm season can easily accommodate splits, stands will hold 4 hives but it does make it tight to work. Legs fold back for transporting although once bees are in situ they’re pretty much there to stay. If anyone is interested pm me & I’ll have a root around for the file with design spec/drawings, would advise the requirement of a decent router to make though.9AB5EC01-1D0F-43FF-BCE4-E4A3DDA14CC0.jpeg

I’m more of a stand man than pallet man for permanent sites - makes it a lot more comfortable to work the bees (& I don’t suffer any issues of disturbing the other hive/hives on the stand). Stands are sited on 2ft square council slabs for stability & protection from damp. 2.4m in length so during swarm season can easily accommodate splits, stands will hold 4 hives but it does make it tight to work. Legs fold back for transporting although once bees are in situ they’re pretty much there to stay. If anyone is interested pm me & I’ll have a root around for the file with design spec/drawings, would advise the requirement of a decent router to make though.View attachment 23160
Now them stands look the bee's knees!
What is the timber dimentions... and length overall
Are you using tannanalised as Nige.C suggests@ and height?
Also Nige.'s spec had the rails set at the distance to take a std Nat frame which seemed a good idea.

Nadelik Lowen

Also Nige.'s spec had the rails set at the distance to take a std Nat frame which seemed a good idea.

Nadelik Lowen

Our Association apiary has stands like that: very convenient,

Latest posts

Back