2:1 syrup with Fumidil b

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Outlander

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
12 14x12 hives. 2 standard nationals and 8 14x12 nucs.
How long will 2:1 syrup with fumidil b in last as they refuse to take it

The same as ordinary syrup, days to week before it starts to go off. I use Thymol in mine as if bees need Fumidil B then they often don't take syrup so you are in a catch 22 and it goes off. I have one starving hive atm that has a gallon of syrup on top they are ignoring. It will be combined tomorrow. It is a difficult one Nosema.

I don't use fumidil B anymore after i read something ( from Spain??) showing that thymol in syrup worked better BUT, when i used to use Fumidil b I wouldn't put thymol in the syrup because fumidil B's acitive ingredient is a mould - aspergillus fumatus or something like that -and thymol is a powerful fungicide, so I thought I woudl be wasting my money mixing the two???

Hi Nic I hope you get that hive sorted. I was given some Fumidil by an old beek. He has around forty hives throughout his orchard plus some out apiarys and treats them as a preventative. Now this sounded a good idea at the time but now Im not so sure may have been a wast of money. I have one hive taking it but two which are not. I may give them until the middle of this coming week then take away. It also may be that there not to bad for stores and seem to still be bring it in, I just felt as it was free and less work the would have taken it.

Getting bees to accept Syrup

Normal syrup has no taste for bees and so they can quite often ignore feeders of of the stuff inches above their heads.

Put a small amount of honey from cappings etc in the syrup and they will get the scent and usually start feeding immediately. :)

If they are not taking from a top feeder then the next thing to try is a frame feeder. These are very useful tools that most beekeepers do not use enough.

I find that making a wick out of a thin piece of cloth and draping it down from the feeder into the hive seems to be the best thing for getting the bees to take down medicated syrup

I thought we'd stopped using fumadil because its been shown that it can cause birth defects in mammals.

Latest posts

Back