1st Inspection

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrB

Drone Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Well, thats the first full inspection done (quite nervous)
did not see HM and she is not yet marked.
looks like plenty of capped brood a fair few drone cells, i did notice quite a bit of larvae but didnt spot eggs (forgot to put my glasses on inside my hood! Doh!!)
Plenty of cappped and uncapped stores IMO (which is probably not worth much yet)
Bees are covering the six frames that i originally had and are only just drawing out one side of the seventh frame (dont realy know how much to expect in 7 days?)
I have had a contact feeder on with about 1/2 gallon of 1:1, the bees are on it but dont think its gone down much.
couple of play cells seen (nothing in them)

couple of questions:-

Should i leave the feeder on untill they are drawing more of the new foundation?

How much drawing out of the foundation would you normally expect within a week?

Well, thats the first full inspection done (quite nervous)
did not see HM and she is not yet marked.
looks like plenty of capped brood a fair few drone cells, i did notice quite a bit of larvae but didnt spot eggs (forgot to put my glasses on inside my hood! Doh!!)
Plenty of cappped and uncapped stores IMO (which is probably not worth much yet)
Bees are covering the six frames that i originally had and are only just drawing out one side of the seventh frame (dont realy know how much to expect in 7 days?)
I have had a contact feeder on with about 1/2 gallon of 1:1, the bees are on it but dont think its gone down much.
couple of play cells seen (nothing in them)

couple of questions:-

Should i leave the feeder on untill they are drawing more of the new foundation?

How much drawing out of the foundation would you normally expect within a week?

I would take the feeder off ,as there should be enough forage AND they can fill the brood area with sugar if you feed them too much which will stop your queen laying and may cuase them to make QC from those play cells, so check themm( see other threads on Nucs, i overfed and did not take my own advice so lost a swarm on a carnolion Nuc as day 35 from a QC nuc)

turn the foundation they are drawing around so the undrawn face is closest to the brood, they should draw that out faster than just leaving it facing away

1/2 to 3/4 of one side of 14x12 frame for a 14x12 Nuc is about right

Last edited:
My view is that if they don't want the feed they won't take so I would not be too worried about leaving it on (there you are - a completely different answer!). However if it is left on or taken off, don't allow it to ferment (or if it does don't give it to your colony). Depending on the mix of age of bees in the colony, wax production may be faster or not

may cuase them to make QC from those play cells, so check themm

I removed the play cells

turn the foundation they are drawing around so the undrawn face is closest to the brood, they should draw that out faster than just leaving it facing away

Good idea! i guess i will need to wait another week though now!?

1/2 to 3/4 of one side of 14x12 frame for a 14x12 Nuc is about right

Thanks, so its about right!

Depending on the mix of age of bees in the colony, wax production may be faster or not

Thanks good point i guess they are still young bees.

Thanks folks :cheers2:

Latest posts

Back