1st inspection 1st mistake

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Black Comb

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Other
Number of Hives
10+
1st mistake this year that is.

Sunny & warm today so opened up hive no 2 (hive 1 opened last week - 4.5 frames of brood & 4 frames of stores - took 1 away & replaced with foundation).

Hive 2 - 4 frames of brood in different stages but virtually no stores. Took out 1 drawn empty frame (v dark comb) and replaced with full frame of honey from hive 1. Checked this empty frame on site - i.e. it was empty.
Thinking a drawn frame wil be handy in future.

Returned home - sun now shining directly on rear garden - looked at "empty" frame and one side half full of eggs. How did I miss them 1st time?.

Lesson learnt. When there is no direct sunlight and it's dark comb look twice or 3 times.

Lesson you learnt is to angle the comb to get the light to the bottom of the cells.

Eggs really should be easier to see against the bottom of the box and if the comb is on the outside of the brood frames there IS a good chance it is laid up.

PH

Thanks PH.
Yes, upon reflection it was next to the brood nest - should have taken away one from the outside.

Only the first. There will likely be more. BUT you are learning. You will not make that mistake again. Not sure how long they were out of the hive but you could have replaced them? Eggs are not chilled so quickly, as are brood. Now you are more miffed?

Regards, RAB

Yes miffed because I was back home within half an hour and assumed they'd be dead!

Possibly some real reading will assist you here.

Absorb and practice.

Aye and try not ot repeat expensive mistakes.;)

PH

Peter did you have any feed with you?
I have the habbit of always having a bag of sugar with me just incase,not the best thing to feed but good enough for a couple of days until I can return with some syrup.

Peter did you have any feed with you?
I have the habbit of always having a bag of sugar with me just incase,not the best thing to feed but good enough for a couple of days until I can return with some syrup.

do you feed dry granulated then? or add water, my grandfather was a "give it to em dry" bridgade, didnt seem to harm them

No, no feed with me because Mrs had taken the Rav and my car is no good in the field.

Question now is do I feed? They have one full frame of honey + bits on a couple of frames. Bringing in plenty of pollen and I assume nectar.

What do you think?

Monitor. A trickle feed to keep them going, as appropriate. What is the weather outlook? Possibly need less food now you have removed the brood! Oops, perhaps shouldn't have reminded you again!!

They are likely to need feeding before the main flow, if she gets on and lays up all the frames.

Regards, RAB

No, no feed with me because Mrs had taken the Rav and my car is no good in the field.

Question now is do I feed? They have one full frame of honey + bits on a couple of frames. Bringing in plenty of pollen and I assume nectar.

What do you think?

this time of brood cycle (late this year) i still carry foundant, even a golf ball size lump helps

off road, ...got my 88" landrover stuck today, had to hand winch it out with a hi lift farm jacK...skidded on grass into ditch

Last edited:

What do you think?

Feed them.

Better to feed them than risk them starving.

I would suggest 'half rations' so as not to fill the potential brood area with stores.

Your call.

Last edited:
Yep, feed them.

No nectar about yet. Chance of small amounts from willow.

Stick on a few pints of thick syrup to get them on the right track.

Lump of fondant.

You just fed them 1 1/2 kg or so of honey. I stick by 'monitor' and feed as necessary. Just keep in mind that one full frame likely will not be enough to see them through to the first good flow. Rather depends on how much brood you have. Are these frames brood wall-to-wall or just the count of frames with brood? Makes a big difference. Should be total frame area covered, not the number with brood on them.

Regards, RAB

Combs with eggs in or which have just been ready for the queen to lay in look different to ordinary empty comb. Don't ask me to describe it, it just looks different, but experienced beekeepers can anticipate finding eggs and young larva by the appearance of the comb. It is all to do with the appearance of the upper edges of the comb plus the interior of the cells will be polished but the appearance of the cell rims are the main thing.

Combs with eggs in or which have just been ready for the queen to lay in look different to ordinary empty comb. Don't ask me to describe it, it just looks different, but experienced beekeepers can anticipate finding eggs and young larva by the appearance of the comb. It is all to do with the appearance of the upper edges of the comb plus the interior of the cells will be polished but the appearance of the cell rims are the main thing.

Attached is a photo of some eggs in brace comb that I removed yesterday - any chance you could use it to describe what you're talking about?

Simon

They all look to be in the bottom of the cells cant see any probs with them.

Last edited:
Hi Peter
When inspecting a frame try to have the sun (if there is any) coming over the shoulder and that will allow brightness onto the face of the frame but if you looking for foul brood then that is a different method of frame inspection.

Regards;

Latest posts

Back