1KG of Candipoline and patty almost gone already?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Natureboy44

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
Put 1KG of Candipoline and a large bee patty above the brood a couple of weeks ago and I am totally surprised at how much has gone already. I honestly thought it may have lasted them most of winter but they have been tearing into it non stop. Is this normal ?

Yes it’s not surprising a decent size colony can shift a large amount plus it’s been a little milder the last week albeit wet! a couple of pound lump is not a lot. Question is why candipol? Get some bakers fondant and put a proper lump on for half the price

Question is why candipol? Get some bakers fondant and put a proper lump on for half the price
:iagree:
it's just baker's fondant with a dash of food colouring to gull the gullible.
If it is mild enough and the fondant is made available, they will go for the fondant rather than deplete their own stores - sometimes if conditions are favourable they'll even store it.

Any feed costing over £1 per KG is grossly overpriced. With at least 95% sugar content at 50p per KG (roughly) you are being royally screwed..

I was brought up near Aberdeen so am mean in these things..

I put Candipolline and Fondant in for my beehive a few weeks ago

Candipolline is nearly gone and Fondant not been touched yet! They seem to love the stuff.

I put Candipolline and Fondant in for my beehive a few weeks ago

Candipolline is nearly gone and Fondant not been touched yet! They seem to love the stuff.

why put both? it's virtually the same stuff - how have you put them on?

On the crown board candipol on the hole over cluster the fondant in the hole furthest away?

Why not try both?

some like to throw money away just for the sake of it.
If you feed the colony properly they wouldn't need anything extra until well into the new year

Last edited by a moderator:
Come on people, be chill. Helpful advice not insults might be a good start. A bit dull though, I will admit :D

Last time I checked it's not illegal to use Candipoline instead of fondant; if people want to use it, that's up to them. It contains a small amount of pollen and some vitamins, so it is slightly different to pure fondant.

Latest posts

Back