14x12 Winter sale

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Enough
Hi folks,

I am desperate to buy some 14x12 brood boxes.
I rely on the sale every year to stock up as I have a low income
and am on benefits...I haven't had any cleared funds until now and I can't
see them on sale anymore.:(
Have they all gone?
Will they be likely to have any more in on sale??

Im not sure if they had any 14 x 12 on sale

OK but I did say I wasnt sure lol. There are none on the website now so they must be gone.

Damn,
I'm almost bloody hysterical.
It's been such a tough year for me.
My partner was hospitalised recently with a relapse of her condition; my car's been written off by someone crashing into me; the settlement cheque still isn't here, my boiler packed up...and several other things.........
beekeeping, like almost everybody on here, is my enjoyment, my hobby. I don't smoke, can't afford the extortion of alcohol, what precious little money I have, I pathetically save up for the Thornes winter sale every year to get my few precious bits of equipment for my hobby and for one reason and several others, I haven't had any funds until now for them. I was desperate for some 14x12s. I waited patiently and patiently until the winter and now I will probably have to wait until next bloody winter.:rant:

Is it not possible for you to make them? A way that should be cheaper still?

Just a thought.

PH

Thanks Pete, but a) I don't have the tools or workspace and b) I am God awful at making anything. I tried to put shelves up a few months back and just messed up the wall.
I'm not playing pathetic, but DIY is not my strong point.
I have plenty of things I'm good at but DIY is not one.

We all have our strengths, and if we are honest to ourselves, our weaknesses too.

Do you know anyone with the tools and knowledge, they are after all pretty simple to make if you have the parts pre cut.

PH

Peak Hives list one in the flat at £27.66 for red deal.
Not sure if this includes VAT.
Also delivery will be extra.

Is it not possible for you to make them? A way that should be cheaper still?

Just a thought.

PH

buy two supers (300mm) an use them as a 14x12 brood box (312mm)by borrowing a bit of the floor space which is 21mm for the frames (304mm)

when i helped a commercial keeper , he just used to take a few floors ,crown boards & lots of honey supers out with him:

if he found a QC,

• the Queen and two frames off the brood,
  • twist brood 90 degrees, crown board on
  • 2nd floor on top towards old position
  • two super on as brood
  • Q in on frames and more frames in
  • 2nd crown board
  • old roof
;

Double decker hive and sort it out next visit

and buy a brood box next year, not ideal but as a temp measure it works

check out C Wynn Jones. they had some seconds recently at a very good price.

Fragile planet have unpainted flat ply ones for £17.99 free delivery.
Not the best quality in the world but would give you a template to try making your own and give you a box of sorts.
I had a ply nuc box from them and it was OK

We all have our strengths, and if we are honest to ourselves, our weaknesses too.

Do you know anyone with the tools and knowledge, they are after all pretty simple to make if you have the parts pre cut.

PH
Well quite kindly a few people have offered a helping hand in some pms to me that I'm really grateful for.
Otherwise, the answer would be a yes to 2 people I know personally, who have the knowledge and tools, but a no to them having enough time.

You can get 4 x 14x12s out of a big sheet of shuttering ply if you are careful. It takes me about 20 minutes to turn a sheet into parts. Same again for machining the pine for the "handles". So an hours labour - gluing/nailing them together is within the gift of the most incompetent DIYer!

If you can find a tame bloke with some tools, I would have thought you could get them built pretty cheaply. If you were near me, I'd do it myself.

Looks like you've got a few options , aside from risking damaging your thumb (or other bits if naked).

The Peak hives one quoted is similar price than Thornes sale one, albeit deal rather than cedar, even cheaper the Fragile Planet - or assuming you have standard Nats now, you could buy an eke converter from Park for £13.86 + VAT

And this is the forum at it's best, well done to those who stepped up and offered to help.

Christmas spirit? I like to think it as an all year spirit on here. :)

PH

Christmas spirit?.......

:iagree:

But where is the bottle (home made sloe gin for me!)?

Regards, RAB

On a seroius note, a plea for someone to 'show me how to do it' is likely to bring a far better response than 'please do this for me'.

More than just a subtle difference of wording, for those that might think there is none.

One is learning, the other is simply sponging on others' goodwill. The former is a once off, the latter could be repeated and repeated until any goodwill definitely fades away.

Regards, RAB

Last edited:
Back