14x12 Poly nucs?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Oakbear

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
Anyone know where may supply these please?

Or wooden ones that don't cost the earth?

Cheers!

http://www.parkbeekeeping.com/index.php?s=14#prod100_9

I've just bought this one...

It only arrived this morning - obviously not had a chance to put a single bee in it yet... but it appears to be of good quality - the pictures on their website are a bit rubbish - it comes with a miller-type feeder, which is quite nice.

It was perfect for me - as it holds National frames, 14x12's OR Langstroth... having access to all 3 of those, means it should be able to do everything I want it to!

Thanks very much! My work pc tells me it counts as a weapon(!) , but i'll check it out later at home!

I now can't get images of someone being clubbed to death by a poly nuc box out of my head... :willy_nilly:

I have a couple of these polynucs from park. They are fine, light to carry and quite strong. But wax moth larvae will eat.
They take standard , deep and commercial brood. 3 adjustments.

Oakbear,

I would honestly prefer to recommend the M*dern B**k**p*ng jumbo poly nuc - they need 'modificating' to take 14 x 12 frames but IMO are a far better option. PM on it's way.

Regards, RAB

Lots of past threads on this subject.
I have several poly nucs from Pxxxnes http://www.paynesbeefarm.co.uk/nuc-mating-hives/ which seem fine. One of mine is currently housing a small swarm (not mine) waiting for me to re-queen. Whoever you buy from make please make sure they actually have them, again see past threads :Angel_anim:
Cheers
S

Last edited:
Stiffy,

If you are referring the apparent WPF type of design, that will not likely be an issue here as it is not marketed in a 14 x 12 format.

Some have already voiced some mild criticism of that particular design - it may not be as robust/well designed as some would have the punter think, roof thickness being one area. There may be a market in replacement roofs or perhaps quite a few repaired ones after mishaps (which do happen!).

I can actually sit on my choice or even stand on top of the roof (yes, just checked that - the nuc was on a flat surface, btw).

Regards, RAB

Cheers for the help.
How easy are either to convert to 14x12 though?

The Park ones only look like they'll take regular nationals?
And do the Modern ones need frame conversion?

The Park ones take standard Nationals, 14x12's and Langstroth.

As standard, they take the nationals, with a couple of pieces of poly removed (they just slide out, so can easily be reinserted at a later date) it takes langstroth, and by putting those sliding bits back in, and adding another layer (almost like an eke on a wooden hive), it will hold 14x12's.

A very multi-functional nuc box - but quite understandably not everyone's cup of tea. I have a use for being able to use it for more than 1 type of frame - so perfect for me - but many don't.

As I say though - not actually had a bee in it yet - so only time will tell on that front!

I will be sure and post my findings, be they good, or be they bad!

No frame conversion. I have made inserts from styrofoam coated them in fablon to convert mine, so far, but I may change to timber inserts for a change. Easy enough to do but time consuming.

Regards, RAB

Stiffy,

If you are referring the apparent WPF type of design, that will not likely be an issue here as it is not marketed in a 14 x 12 format.

Some have already voiced some mild criticism of that particular design - it may not be as robust/well designed as some would have the punter think, roof thickness being one area. There may be a market in replacement roofs or perhaps quite a few repaired ones after mishaps (which do happen!).

I can actually sit on my choice or even stand on top of the roof (yes, just checked that - the nuc was on a flat surface, btw).

Regards, RAB

Just shows that you shouldnt try and quickly rea a thread, my appologies didnt read title properly re 14x12.
I am happy with the Nucs I bought but wouldnt want to stand on the roofs.
Not sure if the design I have is WPF as they only supply the same Nucs as Paxxnes.
S

Latest posts

Back